Some new rifle bolts

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Some new rifle bolts

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I recently read somewhere that there are only two ‘Non Military’ rifle action builders here in the UK which confused me as I could instantly think of half a dozen without too much imagination. Accuracy International build for the civilian market and Rangemaster are certainly doing something so this is two unique manufacturers, by unique I mean they are doing their own thing as opposed to something else, probably best to stop moving on this track as I will get myself into trouble. There is also Mayfair Engineering who I have a feeling are doing their own take of the Mauser action, there are a couple of custom builders doing two lug systems and there are the Chombart designed Model 59 rifle actions and the Model 66 rifle chassis systems. These last two are singularly unique in manufacture here in the UK based on a few features such as 22,0mm diameter three lug Delta configuration bolts with Belleville stack ignition systems and they are light metal with bolting inserts.

What this means in simple terms is the receiver is machined from 7075T6 with a steel insert at the front which enables the rifle bolt to engage with the barrel. As I said, simple terms.

Today was a special day for us here at the SHED as we have just had the bolts for the next batch of actions returned from heat treatment. I am always slightly wary of HT as until it is out of the oven and has been checked and test certificates issued to show hardness you never quite know what to expect. OK well actually I know exactly what to expect hardness wise as the HT process is very precise, carried out in a vacuum and with computer controlled process stages so really the final product is a given. One of the things about process control is get the process right and the end product should be as expected.

The bolts, firing pin sears, shrouds and bolting inserts that came back today from HT were no exception, perfect in every single way.

Here they are in all their splendour. Well OK here they are in plastic bags, yes if you look very closely you will notice the bolting inserts are not shown, I am not going to publish pictures of these parts as they are of a design that is unique and we will not share such information.

So what does this mean? Well I am going to be busy for one thing…

Actually the really good news is we have expanded the range of bolt faces and accordingly the cartridge families that can be supported are as follows:

.308 bolt face family with inertia ejector
.308 bolt face family without ejector
PPC bolt face family without ejector
.223 bolt face family with inertia ejector

So with the exception of magnum bolt faces we can support the vast majority of factory and wildcat cartridges. The interesting one for me is the PPC Non ejector as this family of cartridges is something I have never worked with and I do like the idea of a super polished aluminium action and barrel and one thing I can certainly do is make 7075T6 shine.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Some new rifle bolts

#2 Post by meles meles »

Hmmmm....

*Ponders*

So, ooman, are we on the way to that magic rifle we once discussed with interchangeable bolt faces and barrels that can shoot almost owt from .22 Short all the way up to .338 Lapua?

*Dreams*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#3 Post by DW58 »

Velly Intellesting goodjob
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

meles meles wrote:Hmmmm....

*Ponders*

So, ooman, are we on the way to that magic rifle we once discussed with interchangeable bolt faces and barrels that can shoot almost owt from .22 Short all the way up to .338 Lapua?

*Dreams*
Interchangeable bolts and barrels yes however our bolts will not be built with interchangeable bolt faces.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Excuse my ignorance these bolts are they to fit custom actions that you are proposing to fit custom barrels to. There seems to be a lot of them.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha, the bolts are for the custom actions we build for Actionclear UK/AUS, until now they have only been available with a .308 bolt face with ejector, now the .223 and PPC bolt faces have been added to cover a wider range of applications.
/d

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

I'm waiting for you to make a 12g action. Then you can add your own name to the list,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

DM, a bolt action non repeater shotgun action by any chance?
/d

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#9 Post by Dangermouse »

I guess you have to start somewhere - but as I have only a FAC..

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.