Guess what this is...

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Alpha1

Re: Guess what this is...

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

Second picture the one in the three jaw chuck.
Ovenpaa

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:Second picture the one in the three jaw chuck.
Just over 3" in diameter by the look of it, the spider in the picture is not the one I use.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks I thought it was a picture of one of yours no worries.
Dougan

#24 Post by Dougan »

ovenpaa wrote:Things are about to change with a new workshop and location for 2015 :p
Interesting...can you say more?
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

Not a lot to say, we are moving to somewhere nice and quiet with a bit more workshop space so we can diversify slightly and stuff a few more machines and other interesting things into the gaps.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had forgotten about this thread so had not added a picture of the finished item so here it is:
Cathead.jpg
The bore on this one should have been 55,0mm however once I had drilled and tapped the holes for the screws I decided to run a cut through the bore to remove the burrs and promptly got some cutter chatter halfway through the finish cut and it would have annoyed me for ever so I had to take two more passes to clean the chatter marks out, luckily the final bore dimension was not critical, Realistically a larger diameter boring bar or a less enthusiastic combination of feed and speed would have prevented such an issue. A reasonable feed speed and slow RPM resolved the issue and the bore now looks pristine.

Of course the rest of it is already starting to sport the patina of time spent with cutting fluids and being placed on the rack when not in use…
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#27 Post by Dougan »

Serious bit of kit!...looks like something out of the Tardis :p
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#28 Post by saddler »

Ooh...may be handy for blueprinting a couple of my Remington 700's

Have ya made up a jig for doing clip slotted receivers?

I bet that nice new tool means you can do the job in half the time & at a third of the cost fingerscrossed

When is the move planned for?
Ovenpaa

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

saddler wrote:Ooh...may be handy for blueprinting a couple of my Remington 700's

Have ya made up a jig for doing clip slotted receivers?

I bet that nice new tool means you can do the job in half the time & at a third of the cost fingerscrossed

When is the move planned for?
It was a bit of an experiment really and was designed and built for specific receiver work as much as barrel work however it will do both with ease. Mostly I wanted to move away from holding spiders in 4 jaw chucks, this is a far more accurate way to start the job the way I do things.

The move is gaining momentum... :p

No jig for the clip slotting yet, ideally I could do with an action to work with, I do have a couple of Rem 700's here at the moment however they need to go out very shortly.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#30 Post by Alpha1 »

Any chance of a picture of it end on I'm interested to see what the end with the two sticky out bits looks like.