Guess what this is...

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Re: Guess what this is...

#31 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is the Camlock system which locks it in place to the back plate, it allows me to easily swap between, 3 Jaw, 4 Jaw and Spiders plus it prevents coming unscrewed if run at high speeds. This lathe will run up to 2500 RPM although I seldom go above 1600 and usually hover around the 1000 mark for general machining on smaller diameter stuff. A lot of this was machined at closer to 500 RPM and the bore at 300 (from memory)
DSC_2165.JPG
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#32 Post by Ovenpaa »

I should explain the from memory bit.

As I use an electronic speed control system with a 3.5kW motor so my usable speed control is stepless between 5 and 50 high and low ratios which gives anything from 15 RPM to 2500 RPM. I have a crib sheet which tells me my speeds in steps of 5. The speeds were determined using a hand held optical tachometer which measures from a reflective tag on the back plate. because the device is hand held it was as easy to make a note of the speed at each step, stick it onto a spreadsheet and print it out so I can always confirm speeds if needed for oddball jobs. Having said that speeds and feeds on manuals are intuitive and you after a while you can tell by sound and feel if the cut is correct.

I do have a clipboard in the workshop with notes on feeds, speeds, materials, lubricants, machines and so on in case my memory ever fails me. lol
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#33 Post by Alpha1 »

My lathe has a digital read out for speeds not sure how accurate it is though. Thanks I was curious as to what the pegs were for that explains it. Very nice job by the way. You don't have any stainless round bar off cuts by any chance do you about 1-1/4" OD by about 4" long that I can make a case holder out of for my LeWilson trimmer Id happily trade you a 6.5x55 and a 8mm case holder for a couple of pieces.
Ovenpaa

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

I tested my optical tachometer against a couple of things at known speeds and was very impressed with the accuracy so I know mine are within a couple of percent.

Yes I can find you some stainless if needed, just let me know and I will pop it in the post.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#35 Post by Alpha1 »

I was curious to know the difference between 303 304 and 316 stainless so I asked my guy at work his reply was what do you want me to make you will have to wait because I'm busy turning pieces of 304 bar stock because they want the swarf to analyse for a project. So I said what size is this bar stock his reply was its 2" OD but about 1 1/2" OD when I have finished. So my next question was what are you going to do with the 1 1/2" bit. His reply was its going in the scrap bin its a couple of 4" lengths no good for any thing why do you want it. Guess what my answer was. shakeshout
Ovenpaa

#36 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good to hear you are sorted.
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#37 Post by Alpha1 »

I bit the bullet and ordered a shed load of stainless bar stock and aluminium bar stock. It arrived today. To day I also got a email offering me a 38/357 and 44 case holders for the LeWilson trimmer for very sensible money. Typical. The bar stock cost me bloody fortune.
Alpha1

#38 Post by Alpha1 »

ovenpaa I sent you a pm.
Ovenpaa

#39 Post by Ovenpaa »

Many thanks Alpha1, I have replied.
/d

Shed Journal