Annealing Cups

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Annealing Cups

#21 Post by TattooedGun »

With these annealing cups, what holds the brass in them? are they just big enough for the brass to sit on the bottom and stick out so you can heat the tops and (hopefully) have the cup as a decent heat sink for the case head?

I'm intrigued and interested.

I'd be a bit more interested in an automated machine that can be programmed, but interested all the same :)
Ovenpaa

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

The cups are sized specifically to the cartridge and are quite a snug fit, this is to keep the brass centralised within the cup and also to act as a heat-sink. The internal dimensions and construction are such that you would have to work incredibly hard to cause damage to the case head itself.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun

#23 Post by TattooedGun »

How are people monitoring the temperature whilst using these cups...? a simple 1mississippi, 2mississippi, 3mississippi and dump, repeat...?
Ovenpaa

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

Tempilaq and time, I start by using the Tempilaq and timing it and then just work on time once I am happy with the results so yes, ultimately you can work with one Mississippi, two Mississippi and so on. The cup construction is such that the case head is very well protected from any potential over heating and you can get good results with very little practice.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun

#25 Post by TattooedGun »

Thanks for the info, look forward to giving them a whirl :)
phaedra1106

#26 Post by phaedra1106 »

Time I gave this annealing thing a try I think :)

Can I have one in .308 please, I looked on the website but couldn't see the Tempilaq, knowing nothing about this I assume there's a set of magic "idiot guides" or similar to show me how to train either myself or one of the cats to do this for me? :good:

Edit,

I assume something like this will enable me to heat the cases (or make cheese & onion toasties etc.) ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLDERING-WEL ... 462b63f855
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes that's the sort of thing you need.
Ovenpaa,s annealing cups work very well and they are very well made. Oh and they are really shiny :D lol
TattooedGun

#28 Post by TattooedGun »

I had one of those orange ones and it died :(

Anyone know any good ones that I can get that might be useful if I go on to build some sort of annealing machine? :)
Alpha1

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are going to use a annealing machine I would suggest opening a account at BOC(British oxygen company) and getting a proper torch and bottled gas.
Ovenpaa

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use a Rothenberger Surefire 2 gas torch which has an igniter and can be adjusted to my exact needs, I also use MAP/Pro gas however Propane us fine and does not burn as hot.
/d

Shed Journal