Marking on Stickledown

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Marking on Stickledown

#1 Post by shugie »

There were six of use for our club shoot today, small club and not everyone likes the longer distances. In the morning we were on some sort of 900 yd salient between two lots of 1000yd shooters, and had a very good marker. I was trying out the 190gr HPS stuff from the NSRA, and it seemed to go quite well, didn't have too much hassle with the wind. Does have noticeably more kick to it though.

In the afternoon we moved back to 1000 yds with a different target and marker, and all was chaos. This chap didn't seem to know how to score, and when I was waiting to take a shot, the target dropped twice and came back up marked in different places. I did make mention to the group on our immediate left that they might be hitting the wrong target, but this was not well received, and they seemed to think they were only hitting theirs.

This carried on for the next shooters, with marking proceeding at a glacial pace, amid reminders that the target had been duly perforated. But the marking seemed almost random, and we suspected that the target had not been properly patched from previous use and had plenty of spare holes for the marker to find. I decided the HPS is too expensive to waste on "bingo" marking, and decided to call it a day.

I like shooting the longer distances, but they are not popular with other club members, and poor marking like this does not help when those who do not like longer distances clamour to have more short distance events. Hopefully the club secretary was able to bend an ear at the range office and make sure we didn't pay for marking.

It was very busy, there seemed to be an event on over toward the butt zero side, so perhaps the decent markers were all over there.
Careful now/that sort of thing
rox

Re: Marking on Stickledown

#2 Post by rox »

shugie wrote:there seemed to be an event on over toward the butt zero side, so perhaps the decent markers were all over there.
I can assure you that they were not.

Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#3 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Having had a similar experience on a couple of occasions at Bisley I can sympathise with you. Over the 11 years I have had 3 of these incidents. I would say that the rest of the time it has been good to absolutely brilliant.

One day was so bad that we complained in the range office as a club and were assured the lazy, useless tyke would not be marking again.

We have found that the quality of marker is better during the week rather than weekends.
karen

#4 Post by karen »

What target numbers were you on this afternoon? You need to report it to Range Office at the time though for anything to be done but as Rox says the markers on the big match (RAF v Home Countries) have been reported as "average" and "poor" by the two people currently in my living room. Luckily some Trustees were shooting in the match and I am told they noticed this.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#5 Post by shugie »

We were on 43 this afternoon, I suspect the club secretary will have complained at the range office at the end of the day.
Careful now/that sort of thing
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#6 Post by mag41uk »

I was on 42 on Saturday am at 1100/1200 and must have had the same marker.
Started off ok then got slower with the target randomly going down.
I wasn't entirely certain the marking reflected our shooting but it was only our second time at 1100 and our first at 1200.
It was pretty windy and variable direction.
The marking was just tolerable so didn't complain.
I have also found the marking to be spot on during the week.
Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#7 Post by Private Marker »

An old thread I know, but I have to say not all markers are the same! Some of the younger ones pee off the good professional ones too!
Working weekends it's often like a creche down the butts. I can only assume that the NRA are so desperate for markers they accept almost anybody.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#8 Post by Dellboy »

we messaged the butts and a young female voice said 'i cant reach to put the sticker on '
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#9 Post by Private Marker »

When was this dellboy? Today?

I was on Stix a day and there was no girls there. A few effeminate boys, but no girls.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

Private Marker wrote:When was this dellboy? Today?

I was on Stix a day and there was no girls there. A few effeminate boys, but no girls.

last year
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.