CAS - Cowboy Action Shooting - Startup Club ??

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
qws
Home club or Range: BWSS Member, North Cotes Butts

Re: CAS - Cowboy Action Shooting - Startup Club ??

#21 Post by qws »

Hi, Yes: I have been in touch with Bob I am a member at Tall Trees. I will discuss with him tomorrow to get his advice and see what can be done locally.
Remington .44 1858 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Cattlemen .44 1873 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Uberti Winchester 1873 20"
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
qws

#22 Post by qws »

I spoke to Bob Dunkley last night when visiting Tall Trees club. He introduced CAS to the UK, and his shoots were over at Guisborough club, which is outdoors. This was back mid nineties. He also mentioned that it may be hard to get a lot of interest these days, but so far we have 5-6 expressing interest in a club in the N.E.

Bob is trying to get a modern 3 gun range setup in a quarry, so we may be able to look at having a CAS section ? Still working on this. We really need a local venue that will allow:

Black Powder, Pistol calibre rifle and Shotgun - Would Pittington allow this - ? As it already has PSG once a month, could we have another slot in the month for CAS ?

Any info would be useful.
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
Blackstuff

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

Pittington is shotgun only. The only reason i've been given as to why rifles can't be used down there is that they're worried in case any Section 1 ammo is left behind and the club/owner is held liable. The site is (more) frequently used by airsofters and recieves frequent nocturnal visits from the lovely folk of Easington Lane, so anything left there would be discovered so i don't blame them. However procedures could be put in place to minimise the likelihood of it happening but i've had no success in moving it forward.

Did Bob say where the quarry was he was looking at? If its the former police training ground at Kirkwhelphington i hope he has better luck than everyone else thats tried!
DVC
qws

#24 Post by qws »

Mark, He did not let me know the venue. But will be seeing him again on Thursday.
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
qws

#25 Post by qws »

Just to keep everyone in the loop who is interested. I have had a discussion with Dromia, who is willing to look at the range certifcate at St Giles Yarners in Durham. He will do the risk assessments but can see no reason why the club could not offer an indoor CAS section either once a week or twice a month as long we we get the interest. the indoor option is great as it allows years round practice, and we get more organised we may even be able to hold competitions on the BWSS circuit.

So anyone interested could you make yourselves known if Durham would be a venue you would travel to on a regular basis ???

As this is a new venture, if anyone knows of CAS Metal Targets lying around in their club that are not being used, I would be willing to collect and make the space for the club.

If we cannot source used targets, we will need to get some made. Does anyone know a good metal worker who could produce for a sensible cost. I am going to a couple of competitions soon, so will take some photos of what they are using, so we can see what is being approved by the BWSS.

comments really welcome.
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#26 Post by HH1 »

I happen to know the Aintree Pistol Club, Liverpool have been shooting CAS for a few years now and are members of BWSS.
Several people have the Sect. 1 side-by-side shotguns. They have a good target set up and it is an indoor range which makes a big difference this time of year :good:
Blackstuff

#27 Post by Blackstuff »

I would be interested in this but possess no 'period' guns.

Out of interest is there a BWSS hand/rule book? I've can't see one on their website. Just curious about the age/mechanism restrictions for the shotguns mainly. Not sure i could handle devolving as far as a hammered, non-ejecting SbS....
DVC
qws

#28 Post by qws »

Blackstuff wrote:I would be interested in this but possess no 'period' guns.

Out of interest is there a BWSS hand/rule book? I've can't see one on their website. Just curious about the age/mechanism restrictions for the shotguns mainly. Not sure i could handle devolving as far as a hammered, non-ejecting SbS....
Handbook posted here:

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25085

I can loan my guns until you get the bug. So no problem. I will post and image tomorrow of the guns I have.
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
phaedra1106

#29 Post by phaedra1106 »

Also interested, I have two Henry under levers to start with :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#30 Post by saddler »

Reckon I could let Blackstuff loose with one of my single barrel H&R 'ammer guns.
Will load up some reet nice 10-bore cartridges for him for the 36" Goose cannon.

Interesting rule book

Interested in some events if Durham is the venue