CAS - Cowboy Action Shooting - Startup Club ??

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Kungfugerbil

Re: CAS - Cowboy Action Shooting - Startup Club ??

#41 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Is the intention to start up a new club (and affiliate wih the relevant bodies) or to set up a CAS night as part of the parent (hosting) club? Would we have to apply for membership of, say, St Giles Yarners, or would we join the Nouveau Cowboy club?

No subtext to the question or point to get across, just curious. I don't have any centrefire on my ticket so would obviously need to satisfy the good reason when sticking in for a variation - again, would membership of the Durham good ole boys count or would it have to be an existing home office approved club etc.

Definitely very much up for it having blazed through two boxes of rimfire in a Winchester under lever last night and loved it :)
qws
Home club or Range: BWSS Member, North Cotes Butts

#42 Post by qws »

Ref wether a sub section of a parent club or a totally new club . I have no real opinion either way. What will be important will be the facilities we can offer on the range to make the stages of fire a good challenge.

The real problem so far seems to be venues that will allow: Black Powder, Pistol Calibre Refiles and SotGun.

So far the only option has come from St Giles who are prepared to look at it. We are proposing to hold a meeting at the club to see how this my be achieved. So contacting people who have experiance of CAS and know the RDO Duties etc. Once St Giles has confirmation it is possible we can then try to move on to the next thing.

Ref Membership we have not discussed this yet. So let's get the principles and range sorted first after this we can see how the membership would work.

So we are working as hard as we can to try and get this off the ground. But it will not be a quick thing to do right.
Remington .44 1858 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Cattlemen .44 1873 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Uberti Winchester 1873 20"
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
qws
Home club or Range: BWSS Member, North Cotes Butts

#43 Post by qws »

I have tried to get a local outdoor range interested but so far no takers in the Durham area. I had interest from one of my own clubs, and they were prepared to risk assess for indoor shooting. I have just returned from a CAS shoot at Burgh Le Marsh, that in the past was in doors, but this time on their 50m range. Really good weekend shoot, but it does clearly show you need an outdoor range. So still looking in the Durham NE area. Looks like a longer term project - But will keep trying ??? !!!!
Remington .44 1858 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Cattlemen .44 1873 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Uberti Winchester 1873 20"
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT