Intelligence

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Explosive
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan

Re: Intelligence

#21 Post by Explosive »

HALODIN wrote:How did you know back in 2000/2001? That's very early, not many people realised it back then. I twigged around 2004 when house prices were disconnected from salaries and well if you have two brain cells to rub together and you follow your nose, you soon learn how deep the rabbit hole goes. I've got a lot to say on this subject, but in the interest of brevity, I largely agree with your outlook.
It dawned on me that something serious was up when I heard it reported that the US debt was enormous, and divided between the inhabitants was close to something like $20,000, it was them that I started looking deeper. I mentioned it to lots of people I knew but nobody seemed to care, and the majority do not seem worried even now.

I take it you also have your arse covered ?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#22 Post by HALODIN »

Yes, but I'm not as alarmist as I was 10 years ago. Sold lots of silver for USD 18 months ago, as I could see the dollar was going to rise and USD denominated commodities were going to get hit (see oil!) and I will probably buy it back once it's hit the bottom, circa $10-11/oz, but I refused to follow the market down again. Still kicking myself for listening to the hardened goldbugs back in 2011 when my silver was up 600%... I won't make the same mistake again.

Sold our house in 2008 and invested the cash, no debt, we're tucked away in a slow village, the garden has a well, we have a wood burner, we live on a river, lots of fruit trees in the garden and fish in the river if it came to it. You can't mitigate all scenarios, but I think I have most of them covered.
Explosive wrote:I take it you also have your arse covered ?
Explosive

#23 Post by Explosive »

DaveB wrote:I agree with Explosive, but I went the other way: I left Canada for New Zealand. We have 15 acres miles from the nearest (small) town, on a dead-end road which we share with less than a dozen other families.
What made you leave Canada ?
Explosive

#24 Post by Explosive »

HALODIN wrote:Yes, but I'm not as alarmist as I was 10 years ago. Sold lots of silver for USD 18 months ago, as I could see the dollar was going to rise and USD denominated commodities were going to get hit (see oil!) and I will probably buy it back once it's hit the bottom, circa $10-11/oz, but I refused to follow the market down again. Still kicking myself for listening to the hardened goldbugs back in 2011 when my silver was up 600%... I won't make the same mistake again.

Sold our house in 2008 and invested the cash, no debt, we're tucked away in a slow village, the garden has a well, we have a wood burner, we live on a river, lots of fruit trees in the garden and fish in the river if it came to it. You can't mitigate all scenarios, but I think I have most of them covered.

How do you invest in cash ?

I bought silver when it was about $18 US per ounce, now it is less but it is still worth more than what I paid for it in Canadian $ as the US dollar is so high. I think it's at or near the bottom right now. I bought a whack of gold on Friday.
It does not bother me if it goes up or down, history has shown that when you iron out the creases gold and silver is a store of value for ever.

If I were you I would worry about the perceived value of your fiat, it's backed by nothing more than a government promise. Every fiat currency collapses, be careful not to be left holding a bunch of useless paper.
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

I bought an appreciating currency and the reserve currency will be the last to die, not the first. USDX will go to 120 and then higher once it retests 100, it's going to smash silver lower. I bought in 2009 at $9 and sold around $20, I wish I had been more steadfast and sold at 50! Gold may have bottomed, year-end closing was above support, which is good news, but it will at best trade sideways until the bond market blows up. Money should pour out of bonds in to precious metals and stocks > Q1 2016. Gold is expected to hit $5K/oz < 2020, since silver was demonetized, it's a bit of a gamble.

I don't buy in to the goldbug way of thinking any more, there will always be fiat and USD has a long way to go up before it goes down. USDX is mostly made of the Euro and as that goes pop, it will bolster USD. I've been playing this particular game for 10 years and I've watched every tick on the chart in that time, I've learnt that fear will drive you to make poor investment decisions as I made in 2011. Instead of dollar-cost-averaging you should try and get as many ounces as possible for your CAD.
Explosive wrote:How do you invest in cash ?

I bought silver when it was about $18 US per ounce, now it is less but it is still worth more than what I paid for it in Canadian $ as the US dollar is so high. I think it's at or near the bottom right now. I bought a whack of gold on Friday.
It does not bother me if it goes up or down, history has shown that when you iron out the creases gold and silver is a store of value for ever.

If I were you I would worry about the perceived value of your fiat, it's backed by nothing more than a government promise. Every fiat currency collapses, be careful not to be left holding a bunch of useless paper.
Explosive

#26 Post by Explosive »

HALODIN wrote:I bought an appreciating currency and the reserve currency will be the last to die, not the first. USDX will go to 120 and then higher once it retests 100, it's going to smash silver lower. I bought in 2009 at $9 and sold around $20, I wish I had been more steadfast and sold at 50! Gold may have bottomed, year-end closing was above support, which is good news, but it will at best trade sideways until the bond market blows up. Money should pour out of bonds in to precious metals and stocks > Q1 2016. Gold is expected to hit $5K/oz < 2020, since silver was demonetized, it's a bit of a gamble.
I can see you like to play the markets, rather you than me. I like to play it safe :)

HALODIN wrote:I don't buy in to the goldbug way of thinking any more, there will always be fiat and USD has a long way to go up before it goes down. USDX is mostly made of the Euro and as that goes pop, it will bolster USD. I've been playing this particular game for 10 years and I've watched every tick on the chart in that time, I've learnt that fear will drive you to make poor investment decisions as I made in 2011. Instead of dollar-cost-averaging you should try and get as many ounces as possible for your CAD.
I do get as many ounces as possible for my CAD, but it's priced in USD. When buying or selling I ignore the USD price. All fiat is bullshit, it has no real value and is printed out of thin air.

The Euro will certainly pop and the US $ and the rest will pop too. I don't dispute that the US $ will likely be around for a long time to come, but I doubt it will be in it's present form. I think it will be reset as it has ben in the past............ Any future currency will need the confidence of the people, and the only way it can have that is by being backed by gold.

ETA ...The Chinese and Russians are well aware of this, that is why they have been hoarding gold like crazy. Central Banks all over the world have been stockpiling gold. What do they know that everyone else does not ? Oh yes ! Nobody has worked out how to print real gold, only the paper form lol.

I hear the comex is leveraged 320 -1 8-)
Last edited by Explosive on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALODIN

#27 Post by HALODIN »

It's not so much playing the markets, it's really just following how big money cycles through different investment classes at different points of the business cycle. That's all there is to it. I was a buy-and-hold investor, but I got fed up with watching profits slip away knowing full well it was going to happen. Playing it safe is subjective, there's no shortage of metals irrespective of what certain forecasters and websites tell you and dollar-cost-averaging in a bear market is akin to catching a falling knife IMO. If you're not familiar with charting, have a look, it's pretty simple.

Gold will rise because the world is facing the largest financial crash in generations, it's fungible and it's the currency of last resort. I don't expect to invest in it in 5 years time, I will have cashed out well before then.
Explosive wrote:I can see you like to play the markets, rather you than me. I like to play it safe :)

The Euro will certainly pop and the US $ and the rest will pop too. I don't dispute that the US $ will likely be around for a long time to come, but I doubt it will be in it's present form. I think it will be reset as it has ben in the past............ Any future currency will need the confidence of the people, and the only way it can have that is by being backed by gold.
Explosive

#28 Post by Explosive »

HALODIN wrote:
Gold will rise because the world is facing the largest financial crash in generations, it's fungible and it's the currency of last resort. I don't expect to invest in it in 5 years time, I will have cashed out well before then.
Gold is not a currency, it is real money. Cashed out into what ?
HALODIN

#29 Post by HALODIN »

I'll cash out in to cash. I would probably call it hard money. You can't buy a house with gold and silver, so cash it is.
Explosive wrote:Gold is not a currency, it is real money. Cashed out into what ?
HALODIN

#30 Post by HALODIN »

Hardly anyone stands for delivery at the COMEX, so this is overplayed. In my opinion the underlying metal could be sourced if required. It was these sort of statistics that stopped me selling in 2011, I wish I hadn't listened...
Explosive wrote:I hear the comex is leveraged 320 -1 8-)