Load development Short Siberia

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dangermouse

Load development Short Siberia

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I managed to get down to Short Siberia this morning and fired a few rounds off at 100+ yards.
This is the first time that I have been able to shoot through the new Sightron and it was the first time other than the zero range that I have been able to find out if the loads that I am loading are grouping.

The Sightron is great! Optics spot on and the reticule really is to my liking. All the adjustments are positive and after testing the tracking, that is exactly as it should be and returns to POI after being wound all the way down then up again etc.

The first pic is getting on target, two shots then 3 at the spot marker. The boxes are 1 inch square and after putting the picture through the “On Target” software it gives a reading of 0.410 MOA.
Reasonably satisfied that everything was working, and working better than I dared hope, I shot a 5 shot group. It became difficult to see the original aiming spot, which I am sure affected the group size OF 0.628 moa.
I then had a chat with a couple of chaps making a lot of noise with a .300 as we let our barrels cool down. There was a 3mph wind from behind and the range temp was 15 deg, a lovely day to be on the range.
On returning to the rifle the barrel felt completely cool again and I wondered how that would affect the first shot. You can see it here as the one to the high right, not sure if that was the barrel or I pulled it, I certainly did not feel like I pulled it.
Image 3 +1
Overall it measures 1.107 MOA, shame as it would have been a lovely 3 hole group had it behaved.
Mindful that I will not be re loading any more rounds before the Phoenix F Class, and that every round shot is something else to be cleaned and prepared before next loading, I packed it up whilst the going was good.
Very happy with myself and the loads, I note that these cases had not had the flash hole de burred or primer pocket squared off with the depth tool. I wonder if I will see any noticeable change in group size when I start shooting the cases that have been “properly sorted”?
Load is 155 gn SMK with 49.5 Viht 550,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

Re: Load development Short Siberia

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looks like you are well set up for the end of the month. My day did not go quite as well and I will be at Bisley next Wednesday :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

Re: Load development Short Siberia

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

In a sorry attempt to excuse my grouping, now that I have seen Ovenpaas' at 200 meters, I forgot my rear bag today and was shooting off a rolled up jacket which was far from stable! (any takers)?

On a serious note I remembered something that Vince had said which has never been said to me and that was about keeping cheek contact to an absolute minimum, if fact not at all where the scope allows. This made a startling difference to my shooting today and I must remember to apply it in the future. Thanks Vince,

It does make me wonder what all the fuss is about with cheek pieces? I am sure you need one, or a constant cheek wield, if doing snap shooting but now wonder if I should remove mine completely?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.