Bisley today 5/3/16

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Bisley today 5/3/16

#1 Post by bnz41 »

Our club had it's first 2016 shoot today was it cold on Sibera 100... Anyway big CSR match on as well on Century Range.

Just along from us were 2 chaps each with a Mars rifle in 7.62x39 (one green one black) while having a chat about these rifle I have to say they do look good and easy to operate, while they were shooting others just stopped to see what was going on. I had a few rounds through one and yes excellent squeeze trigger chamber a round, squeeze trigger again fire so simple. No do not want one not sure if the EU change things how long they will be able to be used here.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

Re: Bisley today 5/3/16

#2 Post by Maggot »

How many of the CSR lot were using them and was the winner in SO using one?

Nice idea but a lot of money which would be a game killer for many in CSR.....and what about stoppages?
bnz41

#3 Post by bnz41 »

Maggot wrote:How many of the CSR lot were using them and was the winner in SO using one?

Nice idea but a lot of money which would be a game killer for many in CSR.....and what about stoppages?
Sorry no idea if used in the CSR match as I said I was on Siberia 100yds, what is SO?

The chaps using the MARS rifles did not seem to have any problems with stoppages etc, by lunch time there was alarge pile of spent 7.62x39 steel cases. They had extra 30 round mags think 6 each and were doing fairly quick mag changes, only stopping to let the barrels cool.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#4 Post by channel12 »

I was on Century and I think everybody could hear the rapid fire coming from Siberia. I did wonder was it was as it sounded like semi-auto fire and I suppose doing 30 round mag dumps at 100 yards is great fun for a while.

A few points about CSR competitions, CSR is target shooting, not a Call Of Duty type of shooting. Each stage has a 10 round limit and the stage timing are for bolt action rifles so there's no real advantage in getting all your ten rounds off quicker than the next shooter. The other point is that 7.62x39 isn't exactly a target round, knocking over fig.11's at 300 yards is one thing but the A zone on the 500 yard triple is 300mm diameter. ( Although I'm sure some russophile will come along and tell me about getting 600 yard V-bulls with 7.62x39.)
However there is a Vz58 MARS shooter in CSR but his the .223 version but as said above the rifle doesn't confer any advantage over manually operated rifles.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

channel12 wrote:
The other point is that 7.62x39 isn't exactly a target round, knocking over fig.11's at 300 yards is one thing but the A zone on the 500 yard triple is 300mm diameter. ( Although I'm sure some russophile will come along and tell me about getting 600 yard V-bulls with 7.62x39.)

You won't get any arguement from me with that statement......if you're trying for V bulls at 600 with x39 you're just wasting ammo! ussrflag
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
IainWR

#6 Post by IainWR »

channel12 wrote:I was on Century and I think everybody could hear the rapid fire coming from Siberia. I did wonder was it was as it sounded like semi-auto fire and I suppose doing 30 round mag dumps at 100 yards is great fun for a while.
NRA Range Safety Reg 4h: Indiscriminate firing is forbidden ...
Maggot

#7 Post by Maggot »

channel12 wrote:I was on Century and I think everybody could hear the rapid fire coming from Siberia. I did wonder was it was as it sounded like semi-auto fire and I suppose doing 30 round mag dumps at 100 yards is great fun for a while.

A few points about CSR competitions, CSR is target shooting, not a Call Of Duty type of shooting. Each stage has a 10 round limit and the stage timing are for bolt action rifles so there's no real advantage in getting all your ten rounds off quicker than the next shooter. The other point is that 7.62x39 isn't exactly a target round, knocking over fig.11's at 300 yards is one thing but the A zone on the 500 yard triple is 300mm diameter. ( Although I'm sure some russophile will come along and tell me about getting 600 yard V-bulls with 7.62x39.)
However there is a Vz58 MARS shooter in CSR but his the .223 version but as said above the rifle doesn't confer any advantage over manually operated rifles.
SO....Service optic (sorry Channel 21 not for you that one).

The only place where it might be an advantage might be with the 2 shots per exposure, but people manage to do it quite nicely.

You also need simplicity, if something is likely to go tits up it will. CSR is also a highly inclusive sport, we have all sorts from youngsters to no1 on the boiling oil and they all manage, some on a budget, and still compete, so the need to hugely increase your outlay to be able to compete would not do the discipline any good.

My biggest issue initially was taking my time, and actually realising that 60 seconds is along time for 10 rounds.
Maggot

#8 Post by Maggot »

IainWR wrote:
NRA Range Safety Reg 4h: Indiscriminate firing is forbidden ...
Probably the 22 Taliban Iain :o

Joking aside I shot a 10 round rapid string sitting and still managed to put most of the rounds into the A ring on a 14, so if I can do it someone half capable don't need gimmicks to shoot quickly....not that you need to, but actually in the right conditions it can serve you well.