World Shooting Championship, September 15-17

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
JSC
Home club or Range: NRA

World Shooting Championship, September 15-17

#1 Post by JSC »

I've taken part in this match the last 2 years and had a great time.

Briefly, it's 3 days of competitive shooting at a range in West Virginia with all guns and ammo provided. You just turn up with eye and ear protection and have lots of fun shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns of all types at all sorts of targets against shooters of all abilities. The atmosphere has always been really friendly and everyone is ready to offer advice and help wherever necessary.

There's an amateur division, which has now been defined as shooters who "do not receive any financial support, products or services in competitive shooting activities" (so that's all of us here ;) ) and the prize table is expected to be worth $100,000 just for that amateur division.

Entry fee is $325, which includes use of all the guns and ammo but obviously you need to add your travel and expenses to this. Best way is to fly into Washington DC and then drive to Winchester and stay there.

All the info is here: https://wsc.nra.org/

Happy to help and answer questions if you're interested in going.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: World Shooting Championship, September 15-17

#2 Post by Daryll »

Anyone else thinking about going to this.... you going this year JSC..???

I've got some Virgin airmiles to use (or lose them) before the end of the year, (and their reward seat sale is on for the next 2 days) so I may as well use the miles to get to Washington....but I don't fancy going on my own, (and I have very little experience of driving in the US)

I'm willing to share the cost of a hire car, if someone is willing and able to do the driving.

Daryll
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

Daryll, don't be put off by the driving. It's absolutely easy in the US. The roads are straight, the roadsigns are clear and every hire car is an automatic. Just remember to stay on the right side of the road and it's really as simple as driving a go-cart.

Washington to Winchester appears to be mostly I-ways which are big freeways, like motorways. Absolutely simple to drive on - like the UK, stay in the inside lane unless passing vehicles.

Seriously, don't let the driving put you off. Of course, it's always a bit more relaxed when you know you're with someone else, but I've done a few long distance solo trips in the US, and it's not as daunting as it may first seem.
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

JSC - sounds like this would make a great article for Target Shooter - any chance of a write-up when you get back?
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Thanks Tattooed... I did drive around while on holiday in Orlando many years ago, and have done a little (hotel to work site) in rural New Jersey, but nothing on the Interstates.

As you say, its more relaxed with someone "riding shotgun", looking at maps and road signs.

If i have to solo, I will, but better with someone, (even a comparative stranger!! :) )
JSC

#6 Post by JSC »

Hi Daryll, I'm 99% sure I'll be doing it but have to finalise travel plans and decide how long I can be out of the country before committing to flights, but happy to give anyone a lift if the dates work out.

I'd say there's enough time to attract a few more Brits, so I'm sure there would be more chances of shared rides, but even if you do find you have to drive it alone, as TG says it's really very straightforward with nice wide roads and no roundabouts ;)

Vince, I'd be pleased to do a write up and take some photos so no problems there. It would be really good to try and get a few more of us out there, so maybe you could mention the match in a forthcoming edition? I've got some photos from the last two if you want to use any.
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

JSC wrote:Vince, I'd be pleased to do a write up and take some photos so no problems there. It would be really good to try and get a few more of us out there, so maybe you could mention the match in a forthcoming edition? I've got some photos from the last two if you want to use any.
That sounds good JSC - let me have a few words and a couple of pics and we'll run something - when do entries close? Just send to vinceb@targetshooteronline.com
JSC

#8 Post by JSC »

The Gun Pimp wrote:
JSC wrote:Vince, I'd be pleased to do a write up and take some photos so no problems there. It would be really good to try and get a few more of us out there, so maybe you could mention the match in a forthcoming edition? I've got some photos from the last two if you want to use any.
That sounds good JSC - let me have a few words and a couple of pics and we'll run something - when do entries close? Just send to vinceb@targetshooteronline.com
Will do. Last time entries closed in August but I think amateur division might have been full long before then, so I would enter as early as you can if you want to take part.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#9 Post by mag41uk »

That sounds interesting.

Tony
JSC

#10 Post by JSC »

It is ;)