Distance Sales Sticky

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

Re: Distance Sales Sticky

#81 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Please disregard my last post as I had not read this topic prior to posting, I had posted to a different topic and admin have moved it to here
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Selling a firearm

#82 Post by Christel »

Keithkilvo1 wrote:Something I came up against today was the selling of a firearm from one license holder to another using RFD's at either end.
In the past I have agreed price, received funds from the buyer and then taken the rifle to my RFD who fills out my firearms cert. gives me paperwork to send to the police etc. He then sends it to the buyers RFD who fills out the buyers firearm cert. job done.
This is no longer the case as I have been told that the buyer must first send his certificate direct to the seller (me) who fills out the relevant boxes etc. then posts certificate back to buyer who can then collect the rifle from their RFD once it has been sent.
So when I receive certificate and fill it out I am no longer the registered keeper the buyer is but I still have it as I've not yet sent it and I have to take it to the RFD to post it!! So where do I stand legally if I'm caught with it.
Seem a long winded way of performing what was in the past a simple procedure
You hand it to the RFD before signing the buyer's FAC.

This has been law for ages.

BTW, having been moved your post is in the correct thread.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#83 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Realise that now I got mixed up with when you buy from an RFD rather than an individual. I mistakenly put it in the other thread before realising that this one existed so thanks for the help
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#84 Post by Mattnall »

As seller your FAC is not filled out, only the buyer's FAC gets filled out.

You let your licensing department know and they alter their records and update your FAC when you send it in, either to get the slot reissued or maybe at a later time for renewal etc. As the rifle still appears on your FAC you can hold it, a firearm can be on many FAC s at once.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#85 Post by Hrun »

Mattnall wrote:As seller your FAC is not filled out, only the buyer's FAC gets filled out.

You let your licensing department know and they alter their records and update your FAC when you send it in, either to get the slot reissued or maybe at a later time for renewal etc. As the rifle still appears on your FAC you can hold it, a firearm can be on many FAC s at once.
That is probably the bit that is least clear.. I assumed, and have, that it was required to complete both certificates
Christel
Site Admin

#86 Post by Christel »

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... ealers.pdf

There is a section detailing remote sales.
Mattnall

#87 Post by Mattnall »

Hrun wrote:
Mattnall wrote:As seller your FAC is not filled out, only the buyer's FAC gets filled out.

That is probably the bit that is least clear.. I assumed, and have, that it was required to complete both certificates
All the information on what you need to do should be written on the FAC as conditions. I have seen a couple of licenses without it on but in general it should be written above the table for firearms (or thereabouts) and mentions that only the seller needs to fill out the details of the sale.

So allowing the remote RFD to do the paperwork could be seen as a failure to comply with the conditions of the FAC.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#88 Post by Pete »

So what if you want to sell a firearm to a remote RFD, (having obtained a copy of his cert.), and ship it, notifying your firearms office?
Is that not allowed now?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Mattnall

#89 Post by Mattnall »

Pete wrote:So what if you want to sell a firearm to a remote RFD, (having obtained a copy of his cert.), and ship it, notifying your firearms office?
Is that not allowed now?

Pete
That's fine. Nothing has changed for a while now, just that the rules are being more tightly enforced.

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#90 Post by Pete »

A while back I bought a barrelled action off a private individual through Guntrader.
A mate who's an RFD sent a copy of his cert to the guy, together with the cash (which I'd given him), and when the kit arrived, he entered it on his stock list, passed it on to me, entered it on my FAC and informed his plod, as did I.
All the seller had to do was ship it and let his plod have the RFD details, so only one RFD was involved in the transfer.
I assume this is still allowed?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....