What have BASC been doing over the past couple of months ?

News from the British Association for Shooting and Conservation.

Moderator: dromia

Mike2

What have BASC been doing over the past couple of months ?

#1 Post by Mike2 »

We have been busy over the past months dealing with issues relating to the Home Affairs Committee enquiry into firearms controls, and with the official opening of the BASC media centre by HRH Price Phillip. The studio is now complete but for a couple of minor improvements, and we've already used it for a couple of videos for the website.

( see - http://www.basc.org.uk/ )

The Home Affairs Committee have stated their intention of publishing their report before Christmas, although with the vast amount of evidence given to them, It would seem to be a massive task to do that - I'd have thought early next year would be more likely - but we'll see.

When their report is published we'll have to study it carefully to see what problems or opportunities there might be for our sport, and take whatever action is appropriate at the time.

I'd like to thank every shooter who took the time to write to the Home Affairs Committe and their MPs on the subject of firearms control - your work has been vital to our case!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: What have BASC been doing over the past couple of months

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all shooters when i say thank you to BASC and all of its employees for its (seemingly lone) representation on our behalf in this difficult time :)
DVC
Mike2

#3 Post by Mike2 »

Blackstuff - do I have your permission to pass your very kind comments on the the BASC staff?
Please let me know and I'll do so.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Absolutely :)
DVC
Mike2

#5 Post by Mike2 »

Many thanks - I've passed this on to everyone at BASC.

We appreciate your kind words!
Mike2

#6 Post by Mike2 »

We have been told that the Home Affairs Committee hope to publish their report into firearms controls before Christmas - which doesn't give them very long in view of the holidays.

As soon as it's published we'll post it on the BASC website (assuming we get permission to do that) and we'll study the recommendations carefully.

Remember that whatever recommendations the committee makes, they are still just that recommendations: it's up to the government to pass laws as they see fit. You might like to view the video of the Secretary of State - James Brokenshire - and his response to the committee during the last oral evidence session. It's at the end of http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... ingId=6999 . He uses the terms "measured" "proportionate" "evidence" etc quite a bit.

Mike
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

Thanks for the info and BASC support... I am so grateful that you are representing legal UK shooters so well, unlike some who ignore us.

I note Alun Michael's continued involvement in this important matter.

James Brokenshire MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Crime Prevention, Home Office appears to be sensible.

Looks like H O Guidance will be updated to cover FAC holders, present and future, with criminal records.

Rob