Shooting in the wet

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

kingburyshot

Shooting in the wet

#1 Post by kingburyshot »

Just got back from Kingsbury, the rifle is sopping wet. Anyone got any suggestions on wet weather shooting drills and any quick effective drying methods ?
Scotsgun

Re: Shooting in the wet

#2 Post by Scotsgun »

Strip rifle and remove from stock. Pass a few wipes down the barrel to dry and then a liberal smear of oil. Wipe everything with clean dry rags and then allow to dry in room temperature. Keep all wooden stocks well away from heat sources!

Shooting in the rain....try Belize during the storm season!
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

Scotsgun wrote:Shooting in the rain....try Belize during the storm season!

If it aint raining, it aint training!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kingburyshot

#4 Post by kingburyshot »

[quote="Scotsgun"]Strip rifle and remove from stock. Pass a few wipes down the barrel to dry and then a liberal smear of oil. Wipe everything with clean dry rags and then allow to dry in room temperature. Keep all wooden stocks well away from heat sources!

Good God Man!
The rifle is a 1954 303 No4 which to the best of my knowledge has not been out of the stock since 1954.
At the moment the old brutes in the airing cupboard because:
a] shes out and I can get away with it
b] it is too dam long to fit in the mirco wave
Look I need simple quick ideas which will allow me to get in the chair with a glass of that nice Mr Bells shooter restorer before they restart the Grand Prix.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Get it out of the airing cupboard right now! (The safety car is still out so you have time) Assuming you have dried all you can reach stand it in the kitchen or somewhere cool and watch the race.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kingburyshot

#6 Post by kingburyshot »

Ok boss
kingburyshot

#7 Post by kingburyshot »

On a more serious note, what do people do while shooting in the rain?
Watching my detail while range officering this PM, there was a range of approaches including turning the rifle down to shelter the chamber, using cloths to protect and dry the reciever, leaving the spent cartridge in the rifle to just before quickly reloading and shooting, to simply not worrying about at all. Any good ideas on this would be welcome.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bath towel folded and laid over the 'scope, chamber and ammunition and ideally my right hand. Running hot loads in tight chambers means that a bit of added water soon leads to signs of over pressure.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good race BTW
/d

Shed Journal
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#10 Post by HeatherW762 »

I use a hikers 'towel'. It absorbs a huge amount of water without dripping and feels almost dry when wrung out. Extract empty as soon as fired then edge bolt forward until it's your turn to shoot again.

Find someone who wants to sell an old Tucker waterproof shooting cape. They are spot on although a sod to work out how to put on the first few times.

Once on you can cover all of the stock up to & including the bolt/action. Not sure if it would cover the scope as it's designed for TR shooting.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)