SHILEN target rifle.....does anyone have any knowledge ??

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

targetman

SHILEN target rifle.....does anyone have any knowledge ??

#1 Post by targetman »

I have seen a SHILEN 7.62mm target rifle, Maddco S/S barrel and Brindles sights, fitted in a copy of a Bishop stock. Built by Hart. All looks good but I know nothing about this rifle or it's pedigree.

Anybody got any information...........????
Steve E

Re: SHILEN target rifle.....does anyone have any knowledge ?

#2 Post by Steve E »

There are dozens of shilen target rifles about, just go to Bisley during the Imperial, walk behind the firing line and you will see at least a dozen in use. There are three in my club in regular use. Although not an upto date rifle they are still very competitive. Many were set up by Geoff Hart. As to what barrel or sights they are fitted with, like any bespoke target rifle the barrels and sights would be determined by the owner at the time. The ones in my club have been rebarreled several times and at present at least two of them have Kreiger's fitted. The Shilen is to all intents and purposes a flat bottomed Remington 700 with out the facility for a magazine. Originally the action was designed for bench rest but was quickly adopted for Target Rifle when the alternatives were Enfield/Mauser conversions or the SIN 71 (Swing).
Spare triggers are readily available, (the Shilen trigger will fit Remington 700s and is far better than the Remy Trigger, only the Jewel is better but the Shilen unit is near as good and a fraction of the price.)
A shilen action in good condition would still make a very good rifle.

Steve
targetman

#3 Post by targetman »

Steve.....excellent answer...just what I needed. Not sure whether I shall get it, one or two other projects on the go at the moment (nothing new there)....but it is cheap!!!!
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Strangely Brown »

targetman wrote:I have seen a SHILEN 7.62mm target rifle, Maddco S/S barrel and Brindles sights, fitted in a copy of a Bishop stock. Built by Hart. All looks good but I know nothing about this rifle or it's pedigree.

Geoff Hart built 86 Shilen conversions starting in 1979; he retired in the early 1990's although he was still doing small jobs (triggers etc) for people up to about ten tears ago.
Geoff died in October 2009.
Some have Shilen single stage triggers but I believe the majority have Brindles triggers fitted.
In truth I don't know what Geoff did to the actions by way of engineering but Flt Lt Chris Fitzpatrick won the Queens prize with one in 1990.

Targetman, I would love to see it at some stage.
Mick
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

targetman wrote:I have seen a SHILEN 7.62mm target rifle, Maddco S/S barrel and Brindles sights, fitted in a copy of a Bishop stock. Built by Hart. All looks good but I know nothing about this rifle or it's pedigree.

Have you had a bore scope down the barrel?....I'm asuming this is second hand???

It may well be a Rolls Royce of rifles, but what if it has really had 6,000 rounds thru it???

Caveat emptor.

;)