D & T

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dave 101

D & T

#1 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi all

I have run into a problem today , I have an Enfield No. 4 MkI action with a 7.62 barrel in a TR stock . I decided to put a repro scope mount on it so I could put a modern scope on . I have drilled 4 of the 6 holes and tapped them , Iam on the last 2 and have drilled about half way through the thickness of the receiver and hit a layer of steel that wont drill . At first I thought the drill had gone blunt , I have tried 6 different drill bits and sharpened a couple of them , even tried to drill a small pilot hole , its like a layer of armour plate .
Heres a couple of photos of the receiver , the rifle isnt a collecters item the coversion to single shot TR rifle was done before I bought it years ago .

Its holes 5 and 6 Iam having problems with , these are repro No. 4 T mounts ,

Any one have any suggestions how I can proceed with this ?

Dave
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: D & T

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Carbide drill?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes carbide drill on slow feed with lots of lubricant, the problem is going to be tapping it afterwards but is possible with care
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#4 Post by Dave 101 »

Thanks guys just ordered some . I have dozens of drill bits as my father was a millwright plus dozens of other tools but dont really know whats what , wood work was my game I only did metal work at school and that was way back :lol:

Dave
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Don't forget to stake the screws once it is all done and set up, are you going to use a No32 Mk* 'scope and bracket?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dave 101

#6 Post by Dave 101 »

ovenpaa wrote:Don't forget to stake the screws once it is all done and set up, are you going to use a No32 Mk* 'scope and bracket?

UNFORTUNATELY NOT . Had it been an original spec No. 4 things might be different .

I have an idea to do one in .22 but thats a long way off yet .

Dave
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

An interesting project all the same so please do post updates. I see reproduction No32 Mk something 'scopes are now available and they look good as well, add to that the reproduction pads and brackets available and you can build some good looking rifles.

I have a 4(T) if you ever need any close up pictures of the pads and bracket etc.
/d

Shed Journal