Shimming a 'scope

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Re: Shimming a 'scope

#21 Post by Dougan »

This is bending my brain a little :? but I see what you mean.

As I've only just started using a scope (GR), I'd not thought about something - Question: with a front and rear sight combination, you raise the rear sight up so as to bring the front sight up too - but with a scope, when you want to bring the barrel angle up, does the actual cross hair move down (inside the scope) thus making you bring the aiming point up??

btw: would it be possible to get a translation device installed on the forum, so that 'ordinary folk' can understand what F class shooters are saying :P
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#22 Post by spud »

ovenpaa wrote:
Dougan wrote: Edit - also, I'm not sure that 'shimming' the front and back mounts differently would help - it would be better to raise them equally (keeping it level), as it is the raising of thecross hairs within the scope that matters (although I could be wrong on that point :? :lol: )
What the shimming is doing is making the barrel point up slightly relative to the 'scope on an assumed horizontal plane. I went back and did the math again for my scope based on the distance between the rings and came up with .014" for 10MOA. What I should do is machine a taper of .028" on a suitable piece of material over the distance the rings cover then cut two sections out to sit under the pads so the rings are always at the right angle and do not unduly stress the 'scope tube.

Notice I said 'what I should do....' :oops:

good math there Dave
ImageImage
Ovenpaa

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

spud wrote:good math there Dave
It's only good if it works!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal