LDT M14 / M1A for long range shooting

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Re: LDT M14 / M1A for long range shooting

#31 Post by dirtbag »

Hi after giving the M14 a lot of range time and familiarisation of the scope (ignore previous question above), I thought I would post progress.

After testing many loads variants I (think) I have got to where I want with this gun.
As per original question , my intention was to see I could use this gun to use at long range as all I used to (still do) is use my milsurps.

Having tested many bullets and combos I can now consistently hit the board from 1000 yards with this gun, and do semi decent (for me).
I initially used (because I have 100's of them) some MEN 147's up to 800 yards which were "okay".
I tried Hornady, speer 168's which were better , but not much luck at 1000.

I now use sierra matchking 175's and get to where I want. The fact that someone else had a go with my gun at did well tells me that I am on the right track (I think).

My next challenge is the SVD, not had much luck with heavy bullets and it has limitations (with equipment) compared to my LDT.
One of the pictures is of a real m14 in the 1990's used by security forces (I am told). This was my inspiration to make mine look like (minus fire selector obviously)
The SVD picture is from 800 yards with PPU FMJ 150's (No I didn't get bulls every shot)
The M14 picture is from 1000 yards SMK 175's (No I didn't get V bulls every shot)
Attachments
VXzbvsX.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#32 Post by snayperskaya »

Are you shooting the SVD left handed in that pic?.

The problem with heavier bullets in the SVD is the twist rate, your's will be 1:320mm which favours a 150-ish grain bullet.I too have noticed that group sizes open up as bullet weight increases.

SVD barrels prior to the early '70s had the 1:320mm twist rate but it was changed by Izhmash at the request of the Russian military to 1:240mm to increase the accuracy of AP/API and tracer rounds, which although still weighing around 150gr are significantly longer than LPS light ball bullet.
The change to the 1:240mm twist rate gave a 19% decrease in the accuracy of LPS light ball but this was deemed acceptable at the time.

One other thing I found that doesn't help with regard to accuracy, or at least it didn't for me, is the Russian receiver mounted bipod.I found it hard to load the bipod consistently and it was too spindly so I sold mine and never looked back.The bipod, which is a S-1, is not made by Izhmash but is a commercial product made by a Russian company called Prodiz and were never issued by the Russian military,although some were bought as private purchases by Russian military personnel and the SVD was never officially issued with a bipod.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by Ovenpaa »

Plus Dirtbag already has a rather nice selection of German and Russians stuff

:p :p
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#34 Post by dirtbag »

I am left handed when I shoot due to left eye dominance.
Also I have removed the cheek piece as it's causing me to tilt my head at 45 degrees. The bipod is okay, reminds me of my monopod on my type 99 a bit.

Confident I can get this better overall
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#35 Post by snayperskaya »

dirtbag wrote:I am left handed when I shoot due to left eye dominance.
Also I have removed the cheek piece as it's causing me to tilt my head at 45 degrees. The bipod is okay, reminds me of my monopod on my type 99 a bit.

Confident I can get this better overall
I see, I would imagine it must be quite awkward to shoot the SVD left handed with the scope already offset to the left.

Out of curiosity have you tried shooting it with the bipod removed and using a bag rest under the rearmost part of the hand guards?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#36 Post by dirtbag »

Yes it is , without the pad its better.
Tried a bag first and same results with heavy ammo , same results
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#37 Post by dirtbag »

Hi time to update this thread with a conclusion.
With great help from snayperskaya on multiple factors I have both of these almost on a level playing field.
I upgraded the SVD scope to a civilian 3-9 x24 scope. I took off the cheek piece as shooting left handed made it in the way.
The scope has the ability to zoom in and out. However zoomed in you will lose the majority of the rangefinder (if that bothers you). When I got mine and zeroed the reticle was off to the left, so again thanks to snayperskaya to advise on how to shim the mount so I managed to have a centered view from 100 yard zero

I went through a catalogue of bipods, from an SVD S-101 (copy) to an RPK style barrel mounted (yes i know..), and ended up with an S1 bipod (copy). I did not pay the over the top prices that you may see for "authentic" bipods. I paid around £50 for the S-1 bipod and its by far the best one for me. I put 100 rounds through gun since mounted with a little bit of thread locker in the screws and they have not moved, nor the bipod. The Bipod allows lateral movement as well (for me this was too loose), so oozed some threadlocker into the roller and its makes it more sturdy.
Lets not kid ourselves here it is not a harris bipod , but credit where it is due.

Then there is the round, after some testing I have settled on SMK 174gr .311 with some H4895 (running out :<).
Hitting the board at 1000 yards and managed to keep inside 3rd ring until barrel started to get very hot.

Perhaps I am easily pleased, and a better shooter than me without a doubt could do better, but now I can have a good day out with the M14 and SVD.

Thanks to all that helped

1st picture shows the setup with scope, S-1 scope and the rear squeeze bag
Attachments
SetupSVD.jpg
SVD 800.jpg
SVD 1000.jpg
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#38 Post by snayperskaya »

Nice shooting Tovarisch, pleased to hear you got the old girl shooting nicely :good:

I may have said this before but another bullet that may be worth you trying is the .311" PPU 170gr FMJ, it is about the only ".311" bullet I have found that does actually measure .311".Dimensionally it is pretty much identical to the Russian 148gr LPS bullet and the base is also identical and with the right powder load it will match the trajectory of the LPS round very closely but with greater accuracy and is like a home brewed 7n1 round.

M41B

#39 Post by M41B »

A friend of mine has one of the heavy barrel versions with a fixed 10 power Bausch and Lomb scope. It shoots less than 1 moa, I have shot it and loved it. I’d love to own one.
I enjoy my shooting but usually get a better group with the empty cases !!!!
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#40 Post by dirtbag »

snayperskaya wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:14 pm Nice shooting Tovarisch, pleased to hear you got the old girl shooting nicely :good:

I may have said this before but another bullet that may be worth you trying is the .311" PPU 170gr FMJ, it is about the only ".311" bullet I have found that does actually measure .311".Dimensionally it is pretty much identical to the Russian 148gr LPS bullet and the base is also identical and with the right powder load it will match the trajectory of the LPS round very closely but with greater accuracy and is like a home brewed 7n1 round.
Thanks Snaypers' , I may try that when i get round to it