Correct use of a semi-auto

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Correct use of a semi-auto

#21 Post by froggy »

I work on the principle that if whoever is shooting is safe they can shoot what floats their boat as that is what they get pleasure from.

+1
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#22 Post by HH1 »

There is quite a contrast between the clubs I am in. One club has two ranges downstairs, .22RF/AirGun range and a Centerfire range and a larger range upstairs for Archery, Airgun, Clays, Cowboy Action and Target Shotgun. The proprietor of that particular club can get very annoyed if people engage in rapid fire on the .22 range.... and to some extent I can understand why when you have the (painfully slow to watch) pistol shooters doing their comp cards. I shoot Target Shotgun "Rapidly" upstairs without any issues.

The other club is all about having fun, just so long as you are Safe. Several friends are ex-poilce / military and we love nothing better than rapid fire with our "Black Rifle" semi autos...... Even more fun is when there are 5 or 6 of us lined up with Section 1 shotguns and wee have a race to empty your gun. Those of us with Benellis Always win... (someone has Bora 99 and it is way too slow)....

Sometimes we'll all be sat there and and someone will ask "who's that shooting fast and having FUN"..... scan the room and then the range (CCTV) Monitor screen.... and it will be my 83 year old Dad with one of his Lee Enfield 303's lol
Blackstuff

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

HH1 wrote: Even more fun is when there are 5 or 6 of us lined up with Section 1 shotguns and wee have a race to empty your gun. Those of us with Benellis Always win... (someone has Bora 99 and it is way too slow)....
I have both and I'd take the 'Pepsi Challenge' any day of the week with my Bora :wave: Its the nut behind the butt that does the work, not the gun
DVC
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#24 Post by HH1 »

Blackstuff wrote:
HH1 wrote: Even more fun is when there are 5 or 6 of us lined up with Section 1 shotguns and wee have a race to empty your gun. Those of us with Benellis Always win... (someone has Bora 99 and it is way too slow)....
I have both and I'd take the 'Pepsi Challenge' any day of the week with my Bora :wave: Its the nut behind the butt that does the work, not the gun
Your on! Anytime shakeshout
The Bora in question was bought by a club member.... he brought it along and I asked if he had read the manual.... "Nah, you can put it together for me and try it first".... I would say that the ported barrel on my Benelli M2 Practical makes a big difference in staying on target.

One thing about the Bora I really didn't like is the left side bolt release.... you try placing the gun on its left side on the bench to show a empty chamber and then the release button slams the bolt shut.... so you have to somehow prop up the left side.
Blackstuff

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

I have a Magpul BAD lever on my bolt release so it sticks out even further, but the secondary charging handle in the handguard protects it from being engaged when placed on a table :p

I'm at a PSG comp on Sunday so if I've got time at the end i'll get a 10 shot timing done - start in the shoulder, pointed at the back stop, safety off and 10 rounds as quick as possible? Failing that I might actually just time myself at my local shoot, shooting each gun. My M2 is just the standard gun but as my BR99 doesn't have a compensator/porting I suppose it'll be a better comparison
DVC
safetyfirst

#26 Post by safetyfirst »

We often have how fast can you empty your rifle comps, with a second added to your time for every round outside the 5 ring.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#27 Post by Maggot »

kennyc wrote:Just an observation, it appears that we are discussing 22lr here, 22 mods are about 30 quid , get a variation and the problem goes away. Except of course for the spray of brass and the yells of "get some!"
Bugger...I never realized anybody heard that Kenny signfunnypost
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#28 Post by channel12 »

From my club's members only webpage
We have noted a number of incidents of rapid, indiscriminate firing of .22 firearms. Our Range Rules state that all shots should be aimed shots and indiscriminate or casual shooting is not allowed.
Blackstuff

#29 Post by Blackstuff »

No 'casual' shooting 5mith Does that mean only uptight, humourless, 50rds-per-year bores are allowed to shoot? 8-) lol
DVC
Kungfugerbil

#30 Post by Kungfugerbil »

No casual shooting seems daft. Should turn in up tuxedo and white tie to make a point ...