First .357 Magnum

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: First .357 Magnum

#11 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:I spent the other evening on the range with a Marlin owner he can not get it to shoot for rocking horse poo. He has spent a age trying to get to the bottom of light strikes and spent a lot of money trying to sort it to no avail.
Where the wrist of the stock is inserted into the tang, if the walnut has not been treated fully, it can swell a little and be out of spec on the inside. This then causes the inside of the stock to foul on the mainspring which results in a sluggish hammer fall. Sandpaper and 20 minutes will sort it.
Alpha1 wrote: My current Winchester just works.
It will cycle as fast as you can work the lever flawlessly.
Doesn't shoot too well though, according to your thread....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

No it does not but that could be due to the fact its spent most of its last twenty years locked up in a gun cabinet. But I guarantee that now I have started using it again and I get my molds out of retirement by the end of the year it will be fettled. Oh and I scored 89.0 in the precision underlever comp at my last attempt so that is what I call not performing.
Sim G

#13 Post by Sim G »

Have you cleaned the barrel yet?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

No not yet but I will fingerscrossed
How is the original poster getting on with the new aquisiton. Pictures would be good.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#15 Post by Lever357 »

pbrazendale wrote:Hi all,

I'm off to collect a new Uberti 1873 Underlever in .357 Mag tomorrow morning, will post pics once I have it home, can't wait to get my hands on it now :-)

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Lucky man! We must have pictures! What finish did you go for??? I love shooting mine.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#16 Post by pbrazendale »

Hey Guys,

Picked her up this morning from Dauntsey Guns, it's a lovely gun can't wait to get on the range!

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#17 Post by GeeRam »

goodjob

Once you got a good 500+ rounds through it - take to A&A Gunsmiths and get it slicked up, and if you can afford it, a short stroke kit fitted.

cheers
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Nice well done.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#19 Post by Dark Skies »

Dauntsey stock both the traditional and modern finish of the Henry rifle and both are slightly cheaper than their Uberti stock. What made you plump for the Uberti?
I'm interested in a .45 Colt under lever so am doing a bit of research on the various options.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
pbrazendale
Home club or Range: MRPC

#20 Post by pbrazendale »

Dark Skies wrote:Dauntsey stock both the traditional and modern finish of the Henry rifle and both are slightly cheaper than their Uberti stock. What made you plump for the Uberti?
I'm interested in a .45 Colt under lever so am doing a bit of research on the various options.
Went for the Uberti because it has an octagonal barrel which I like and also loads like the traditional through the side loading gate, the Henry's load via a magazine tube which I'm not a fan of, just personal preference though.

Oh and I really like the colouring on the action on the Uberti, it's different on every rifle.