New LBP coming to the UK hopefully

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: New LBP coming to the UK hopefully

#41 Post by Sim G »

MistAgain wrote: There has been a constant demand for a Smith & Wesson-Based revolver which is compliant with UK regulations since the ban of 1997. However, the law dictates that it is not permissible to convert any firearm which has been built as a Section 5 (firearm with less than 12” (300mm) barrel, and less than 24” (600mm) overall length) into a Section 1. As S&W had no 12” barrel models, and no plan to build one, it has not been possible until now. To build a UK-compliant revolver we needed to buy an “incomplete” firearm or a “Kit” of parts that had never been assembled.

And an update ..............Due to Smith & Wesson declining to supply the frame kits, this project will be on hold until a suitable alternative can be found.

I've often wondered with the s1 versus s5 malarkey.

What about having a 'smith in Northern Ireland take a s1 revolver and add a 12" barrel and a rod, then ship that s1 gun to a RFD on the Mainland as a s1. It should then remain as such as its then never been a s5....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Swifty Boy

#42 Post by Swifty Boy »

MistAgain wrote:I was told that only three made it into the country .

But Mike started refunding deposits before his tragic accident as he could no longer supply them .
I have one of them (bought via this forum) so interested to know if this is true. Very pleased with the gun.

Any other owners on here?
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#43 Post by Dellboy »

Sim G wrote:
MistAgain wrote: There has been a constant demand for a Smith & Wesson-Based revolver which is compliant with UK regulations since the ban of 1997. However, the law dictates that it is not permissible to convert any firearm which has been built as a Section 5 (firearm with less than 12” (300mm) barrel, and less than 24” (600mm) overall length) into a Section 1. As S&W had no 12” barrel models, and no plan to build one, it has not been possible until now. To build a UK-compliant revolver we needed to buy an “incomplete” firearm or a “Kit” of parts that had never been assembled.

And an update ..............Due to Smith & Wesson declining to supply the frame kits, this project will be on hold until a suitable alternative can be found.
Interesting thought if section 5 doesnt exist in the place of origin (especially if it uk ) then that could be the way forward . As UK has allready accepted it as legal in its short form .

What about having a 'smith in Northern Ireland take a s1 revolver and add a 12" barrel and a rod, then ship that s1 gun to a RFD on the Mainland as a s1. It should then remain as such as its then never been a s5....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#44 Post by Dellboy »

So what would stop you buying those copy frames and building from them ?
What are they regarded as a part or a liscensed part ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#45 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:

Getting an opinion from the Home Office as to whether a S5 'handgun' under UK legislation is in fact such outside of the UK would be the way to find out I suppose. i.e. When does a "small firearm" become a small firearm, anywhere in the world its manufactured, or only when it crosses our borders?

FYI there were definitely more than 3 Icon Arms Sigs made otherwise I've managed to see them all together in one 20 person competition last year which I doubt. There were two of them in my local club alone (one was sold early this year, i'm not sure about the other one).
DVC
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#46 Post by Gh0st »

I'm guessing an opinion is not much good until someone sets the precedent and challenges the system within the rules.

I wonder how many LBP in total in the U.K. The market must be tiny? Couple of thousand atvthe most?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
MistAgain

#47 Post by MistAgain »

Gh0st wrote:There's no issue getting hold of glock frames though.

Maybe your friend who is going to import .22 long barrel glocks could consider offering full refunds to any buyer that has his glock seized by the police at some time in the future .
Gh0st

#48 Post by Gh0st »

MistAgain wrote:
Gh0st wrote:There's no issue getting hold of glock frames though.

Maybe your friend who is going to import .22 long barrel glocks could consider offering full refunds to any buyer that has his glock seized by the police at some time in the future .
Well, i was trying to steer clear from this being brought up as the last thread got closed and this isnt my thread to hijack.

but my friend already imports enough to the UK to know the laws inside and out. The Glock will be UK legal. Its not worth his reputation for it not to be.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

BamBam

#49 Post by BamBam »

Who will be selling the Glock LBP?
Gh0st

#50 Post by Gh0st »

BamBam wrote:Who will be selling the Glock LBP?
Probably worth you reading this locked thread to get more of an understanding on the Glock....

https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=31412