August McQueen morning at Bisley

A section to arrange and discuss all our shoots and events.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: August McQueen morning at Bisley

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

ptheta wrote:I can do better than that, going to risk my old digital camera down the end of the range on a tripod and get some facing video footage instead of the usual round the back stuff. 2500 rounds through 1911s, AKs, MAC10, M16, shotguns and a three gun match on the final day. Roll on October...
Sounds like a good time is going to be had. We have just picked up a used Lumix TZ summat for exactly this reason, down side is it actually takes very nice pictures and Christel has taken quite a liking to it. Regardless of liking it I am going to get it on a tripod at the pointy end when we head to DK in September. The fun part is calculating the closest I can have the camera face on to the rifle and not shoot it! A hundred metres should be OK if I am shooting to 600
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

bnz41 wrote:Hi ovenpaa,

If you make it the morning of the 4th then I would be able to attend. Bring along my mosin sniper and my zombie 223 Ar15....

Neil
Top man :good:

I will try and confirm a date ASAP
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ptheta
Home club or Range: TFSA

#13 Post by ptheta »

ovenpaa wrote:The fun part is calculating the closest I can have the camera face on to the rifle and not shoot it! A hundred metres should be OK if I am shooting to 600
This will all be practical shooting so a lot closer than that, probably only 25 yards for most of it although there's a 200 yard range too. Over here we use a minimum separation of 5 metres for shotgun so it'll be interesting to see how close we're allowed with the .223. Just as well it's an old camera!

Don't forget to let me know if you end up with one of these shoots on a weekend. I've only done McQueens once and I'd love to have another crack at it. Last time was with someone else's posh, synthetic stocked and bipoded gun at an open day. I'd like to have a go with my pretend No.4T and 6x42 off a sandbag
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

ptheta wrote:Don't forget to let me know if you end up with one of these shoots on a weekend. I've only done McQueens once and I'd love to have another crack at it. Last time was with someone else's posh, synthetic stocked and bipoded gun at an open day. I'd like to have a go with my pretend No.4T and 6x42 off a sandbag
Will do. I have a black thing with bipod you can use however I would not call it posh these days. I have a replacement mag spring coming via Dromia for my No4 Mk1 if it resolves the feed issue I will also be bringing it as I feel it is *the* rifle to use.

Pity we cannot use Fig 14's these days.
/d

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#15 Post by Mike357 »

ptheta wrote:
christel wrote:
ptheta wrote:Isn't it always the way, I've just gone and booked up all my remaining holidays this year on a 6 day shooting trip to Kentucky.

If you should happen to do one of these at the weekend I'd be up for it. Otherwise, I shall just have to join in next year.
Pictures please :D
I can do better than that, going to risk my old digital camera down the end of the range on a tripod and get some facing video footage instead of the usual round the back stuff. 2500 rounds through 1911s, AKs, MAC10, M16, shotguns and a three gun match on the final day. Roll on October...
Lucky sod, is that Knob Creek you're going to?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
ptheta

#16 Post by ptheta »

ovenpaa wrote:
ptheta wrote:Don't forget to let me know if you end up with one of these shoots on a weekend. I've only done McQueens once and I'd love to have another crack at it. Last time was with someone else's posh, synthetic stocked and bipoded gun at an open day. I'd like to have a go with my pretend No.4T and 6x42 off a sandbag
Will do. I have a black thing with bipod you can use however I would not call it posh these days. I have a replacement mag spring coming via Dromia for my No4 Mk1 if it resolves the feed issue I will also be bringing it as I feel it is *the* rifle to use.

Pity we cannot use Fig 14's these days.
How big are the targets? I wonder if the Schmidt-Rubin with open sights would be useable. 200m isn't that far.
ptheta

#17 Post by ptheta »

Mike357 wrote: Lucky sod, is that Knob Creek you're going to?
Guilty as charged! :D

It's just a local club in Kentucky: http://www.orpci.org/

It's the inaugural shoot of a link up with Four Islands: http://four4islands.org/

Four Islands is a bit of a break away from the UKPSA with the emphasis on fun, rather than getting hung up on categories and rules about not using scenarios and the like. I've heard that if you mention the name on the UKPSA forum you'll get an enforced holiday but I never joined anyway as they've nothing to offer people like me who are only doing it for fun and don't care about competitions and rankings.

Take a look at the T-shirt on the Four Islands web site. I did the graphics for it and I'm quite chuffed with it as it's my first.

(Apologies to Ovenpaa for dragging his thread off topic.)
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Fig 14 (Hun Head) is 11 inches high by 7 inches wide, the Bisley PC one should be the same.
/d

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#19 Post by Mike357 »

ovenpaa wrote:
ptheta wrote:I can do better than that, going to risk my old digital camera down the end of the range on a tripod and get some facing video footage instead of the usual round the back stuff. 2500 rounds through 1911s, AKs, MAC10, M16, shotguns and a three gun match on the final day. Roll on October...
Sounds like a good time is going to be had. We have just picked up a used Lumix TZ summat for exactly this reason, down side is it actually takes very nice pictures and Christel has taken quite a liking to it. Regardless of liking it I am going to get it on a tripod at the pointy end when we head to DK in September. The fun part is calculating the closest I can have the camera face on to the rifle and not shoot it! A hundred metres should be OK if I am shooting to 600
Lets hope you look after it better than 20series chronograph :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bets on the number of shots it takes you to blow it to bits?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
ptheta

#20 Post by ptheta »

ovenpaa wrote:The Fig 14 (Hun Head) is 11 inches high by 7 inches wide, the Bisley PC one should be the same.
Possibly setting myself up for a fall here (at some point given that I can't make the mid-week date) but I reckon I could hit that with my Schmidt-Rubin and open sights at 200m.