Armtac RS-1 Shotgun.....it's a Saiga!!!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

shellshokt
Home club or Range: KFC and TR&PC

Re: Armtac RS-1 Shotgun.....it's a Saiga!!!

#111 Post by shellshokt »

Hi Martin,
You need to take the trigger mech out before the safety can be removed.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken
shellshokt

#112 Post by shellshokt »

1. lift up the left and right hammer spring ends and secure behind the hammer.
Trigger removal.jpg
2. Lift the retaining spring and you can then gently tap out the hammer pin. (The hammer is down in this picture so that I could point out the retaining spring) Lift out the hammer. In real Ak's it is bar with clips at either end to hold the trigger & hammer pins.
IMG_20181013_160433_DRO.jpg
Make a note of how the retaining spring sits in the receiver. Once the hammer pin is out it is easy to tap out the trigger pin. Lift out the trigger assembly. Then just turn the safety lever to about the vertical position and ease it out. Just reverse the procedure to replace everything.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken
roffem

#113 Post by roffem »

This is perfect thanks. Can you recommend an ambidextrous magazine release or extension to the existing mag release so I can drop the mag without moving my hand from the pistol grip. I’m a leftie so struggling to find something. Also a ambidextrous safety catch that fits as well?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#114 Post by Nelly2014 »

roffem wrote:This is perfect thanks. Can you recommend an ambidextrous magazine release or extension to the existing mag release so I can drop the mag without moving my hand from the pistol grip. I’m a leftie so struggling to find something. Also a ambidextrous safety catch that fits as well?
I found that the mag release was sharp as well as quite stiff so I have put some heavy heatshrink on the lever which makes it more finger friendly and a bit more leverage. I also extended the horrible bolt hold button so it is easier on the finger. Polish your mags for easier release.
It is easy to spend large amounts of money on buying bits from Russia made for Saiga/Vepre and you still have to modify. I like to find cheap and easy way of achieving similar results.
Another one is to dismantle the gas rod spring assembly, polish up the rod and tube and apply decent grease. If you don't want to cut your spring(s) to use lower power cartridges, obtain a Colt .45 1911 recoil spring and play with that, it fits perfect. You will be surprised how many old school RFD's have spares from the pre s-auto ban days still lying around.
shellshokt

#115 Post by shellshokt »

roffem
I use the right hand version of this on my Armsan:
https://4range.com/product/vepr-12-mag- ... 14699.html
It works really well.
Can't seem to find any LH safeties. I fitted this to mine:
https://4range.com/product/do-it-yourse ... -9258.html
It may help. I've just tried it left handed, it's easy to put the safety on with your left thumb but quite difficult to take the safe off with your left thumb.
Regards
Steve
H.L.Mencken
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#116 Post by breacher »

I run a Vepr 12 and the ONE simple DIY job which made a big difference was.................

Polishing the hammer face and bottom of bolt group. The bolt group slides over and past the hammer and the oxide finish is not exactly slippery. A dremel and polishing paste got both super smooth and slippery - not had any FTF or FTE since !!

The hammer can be polished in situ too.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
John R
Home club or Range: Altcar

#117 Post by John R »

I am a new member and not sure what to do, I wanted to ask Gasman how he attached the muzzle brake. Is it silver soldered or has it been modified to clamp on?
gasman
Home club or Range: worcester norton

#118 Post by gasman »

Welcome to the forum,its a gk03, modified to be clamp on.gunsmith/ engineering guy milled out threaded steel insert to be interference fit( mallet fit) on gun barrel end.then drilled and tapped 4 tiny grubscrews to indent barrel,though I found out after 20+ shells the gas back blast from brake was pushing brake off barrel. If you over tighten grubscrews you can't remove choke,so I used a thin smear of thread lock( glue) on barrel/ brake.so far staying on(300+ shells).
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#119 Post by snayperskaya »

shellshokt wrote:
Lift the retaining spring and you can then gently tap out the hammer pin. (The hammer is down in this picture so that I could point out the retaining spring) Lift out the hammer. In real Ak's it is bar with clips at either end to hold the trigger & hammer pins.
In "real" AK's the FCG retaining pins are held in place by the same spring, it is commonly called "the shepherds hook" due to the shape of it.In a select fire variant one end fits over the retaining pin for the auto sear and retains that pin by passing under that pin, it then passes over the top of the hammer retaining pin and finally under the disconnector retaining pin.The pins have a groove that the shepherds hook sits in so the pins can't "walk" out, which is what happens if it isn't fitted in the correct orientation over/under the pins.

The "bar with clips at either end" I think you are referring to is the aftermarket retaining plate that the Yanks use to replace the shepherds hook in the belief it makes stripping easier.......but even 12 year old niece Anastasia can strip AKM trigger and refit in about 45 seconds

ussrflag
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
John R
Home club or Range: Altcar

#120 Post by John R »

I haven't had a chance to shoot my RSS1 yet but I have noticed that the 10 round mags don't drop freely on an open bolt, (the 5 round mag does)when the mag release button is pressed. What part of the mag needs filing away to make them drop freely?