Savage Rifles - post Edgar Bros takeover of the import

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

Savage Rifles - post Edgar Bros takeover of the import

#1 Post by Mr_Logic »

Was at the game fair yesterday, had a chat on the Edgar Brothers stand about Savage target rifles.

They told me they expect the target rifles to be special order only, no plans to stock them. Did not check on the actions.

Has anyone else heard this? Is this info accurate? If so very annoying as a special order from America basically means not available.

I guess Stuart Anselm will be the authority on this one? If it IS right it will annoy me, looking at another F/TR in 308 so Other Half and I have a rifle each.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Savage Rifles - post Edgar Bros takeover of the import

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Stuart is on here so drop him a PM. Not fancy just going for the action and building semi custom. Not much difference in price according to the Osprey web site.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
tikkathreebarrels

#3 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

I'm pretty sure he was going to be at the game fair so if anyone's still there go hunt him out and ask him.

Special order from across the Atlantic: sounds like slow, slow service.

And, assuming this to be true, must be disappointing after all the work which Stuart Anselm/Osprey rifles has done to put savage rifles in the public eye.

Ho hum, let's hope it's not true.
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

Well, the first thing is, you heard it from Edgar Brothers, so I reckon it's fair to assume that it is the truth......

Secondly, we will see more Savage's on the shelf? Not bloody likely! The reason to my mind is simple, EB also import Remington, which they have done for a long, long time. They have a good reputation and business relationship with Remington (who also now own Marlin and EB are the importers for them now..... after sticking 400 quid on each rifle straight away!), they are not going to want to rock that relationship.

The only advantage to a new Remington over a new Savage, is that Remington are better looking. In all other respects the Savage is a better rifle out of the box. The American market has known this for a while and the Brits are waking up to it. EB taking on Savage keeps them off the shelves whilst their "premium" brand goes on unchallenged......

I've owned three Remingtons in the past and I'll never own another. I have two Savages and I'm looking for a third! If needs be, I'll import it personally. Sod EB!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mr_Logic

#5 Post by Mr_Logic »

I am not sure Edgars will care tbh. From their advertised RRPs they are making disgusting margins - rifles which sell for $500 on rrp at £1300!
Sim G

#6 Post by Sim G »

Exactly.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!