Is this a good value starter gun package?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

maclrc
Home club or Range: AGL

Is this a good value starter gun package?

#1 Post by maclrc »

Hi All,

I'm new to shooting and my local ground offers the following starter package for £1,845. I've added some rough stand-alone pricing in brackets from what I have seen online (I've been conservative with prices I think):

Choice of Silver Pigeon Grade 1 or b525 Grade 1 (new - I would go with whichever has the best fit as both should work well for my usage of mostly clays with the occasional game shoot)
One years membership (Usually £195 including 1 lesson, but I'm not sure if you get the lesson in the package, sp potentially worth £100 or so)
GMK skeet vest (c.£50)
Bisley cleaning kit (c£50)
GMK navy blue cartridge box, to hold 125 cartridges (c.£30)
Own branded black canvas gun slip (c£80)
Peltor Bulls Eye ear defenders (c.£20)
Own brand clear safety glasses (c.£20)
3 shooting lessons (worth £195)

This looks to be a pretty good deal, essentially getting a new SP or 525 for £1300 or less, depending on how you value the other components. This would seem to make this an attractive option compared to buying a s/h gun (the other option I am considering).

Am I missing something? Any advice much appreciated before I part with my cash.

Thanks
Kungfugerbil

Re: Is this a good value starter gun package?

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Personally I wouldn’t for the following reasons:

* You may not get along with the instructor(s) or it may not be particularly good quality instruction. Committing to everything from them kind of leaves you no other options.
* The kit supplied may not suit you or you may want to splash out more (eg active ear muffs, better vest etc) in which case the supplied stuff would be dead money
* I can’t imagine why anyone needs a cartridge box, and an own brand slip is never 80 quids worth!

Have you had any lessons with them yet? If you have and get on with them, there’s always the option of just doing the lessons before diving in.

A very good used 525 or Silver Pigeon is a decent choice and should run £800 - £900, leaving you plenty of space for kit and lessons in your budget.

That said however if money isn’t the primary driver, why not. It’s convenient. I just wouldn’t do it personally. Good luck and welcome :)
maclrc

#3 Post by maclrc »

Thanks for the advice

The ground has an excellent reputation, so I'm not too concerned about the membership i.e. I would choose to shoot there regardless of the lessons. As you say, the quality of instruction is an unknown, so I will take your advice and have a lesson before committing further.

I also agree that some of the kit is likely of little value (cartridge box in particular), but, they are generally low enough value, that it doesn't really matter either way e.g. ear defenders useful as a spare pair or for guest if I choose to get come actives (which I intend to do at some stage).

I assume your £800-900 estimate would be from a private seller, which, given my lack of experience I'd like to avoid. Trade seller prices (where I can get a guarantee, etc.) seem to be more in the £1000 and up range.
Kungfugerbil

#4 Post by Kungfugerbil »

maclrc wrote:I assume your £800-900 estimate would be from a private seller, which, given my lack of experience I'd like to avoid. Trade seller prices (where I can get a guarantee, etc.) seem to be more in the £1000 and up range.
There are plenty of Berettas and Brownings from shops in the £700 - £900 range but you’re right, prices have firmed up in the last year. They are still around - I would have this one in a flash:

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/ ... 2121003001

More important on fixating on models or even brands is how they fit and feel. Expand your search to include Browning 325s, Beretta 686s and Miroku MK38s and you can’t really go wrong.

Also don’t discount cheaper guns out of hand. On a tryout session the gun that fit me and swung best was a Bettinsoli so I saved a load of cash and went with that. Modern Italian and Turkish guns are very good indeed.
Dorset_shooter

#5 Post by Dorset_shooter »

My 2p's worth, nothing to do with what your asking but active ear protectors are great for clay shooting with your mates but cause nothing but hassle game shooting imho.

Many times I have turned mine off because all I can hear is the stream I am stood in or the wind through the trees. Proper fitted ear plugs are better.

Clearly this is just my experience
maclrc

#6 Post by maclrc »

Thanks to advice on here I looked more carefully at the package and local gun shop offerings. I've decided to go s/h as am confident I can get a quality gun for around £1k. I will save some money and be able to choose the gear I want
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

You will be surprised how much guns differ when you go to try them. Try as many as you can before you buy. Don't be put off with the gun being too long/too short/too cheap/too expensive, all guns can be made to fit you. How it feels when you bring it to the shoulder and when you swing it, that is a good starting point.

Some people benefit from tutoring, some can't stand being told what to do. I am one of the latter and am most comfortable when out with friends who will point out to me that the way I stand could be improved :)

A starter pack is not a bad idea however it is not for everyone. Unless you are loaded then at the end of the day it is all about money. What to buy, how best to spend your money.

Me...I would get the right gun for me, then as I go along get the right accessories for me, even if it in the long run cost me more, at least this way I will not potentially end up with items that I after awhile realise I have no need for.

Just my opinion of course :p
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#8 Post by the running man »

Kungfugerbil wrote:Personally I wouldn’t for the following reasons:

* You may not get along with the instructor(s) or it may not be particularly good quality instruction. Committing to everything from them kind of leaves you no other options.
* The kit supplied may not suit you or you may want to splash out more (eg active ear muffs, better vest etc) in which case the supplied stuff would be dead money
* I can’t imagine why anyone needs a cartridge box, and an own brand slip is never 80 quids worth!

Have you had any lessons with them yet? If you have and get on with them, there’s always the option of just doing the lessons before diving in.

A very good used 525 or Silver Pigeon is a decent choice and should run £800 - £900, leaving you plenty of space for kit and lessons in your budget.

That said however if money isn’t the primary driver, why not. It’s convenient. I just wouldn’t do it personally. Good luck and welcome :)
Good advice......
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#9 Post by the running man »

Just to add, although a silver pidgeon is an ok gun it is essentially a game gun and thus is lighter and not suited to endless shoulder bashing, where as a 682 or dt 10/11 or similar will be....
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
maclrc

#10 Post by maclrc »

I've used sporter variants of the 686s without issues on clays.

Have my eye on a 686 special, but want to test alongside several other options, which I will hopefully do on Saturday