This years roe buck season ....

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Scotsgun

Re: This years roe buck season ....

#11 Post by Scotsgun »

Sim G wrote:
Purely out of curiosity, why would they want to shoot the deer in the liver?

Robin kind of has the gist of it. Best answer i can give is that it's a cultural thing. Where as we train our inexperienced stalkers to go for the heart for a quick painless death, some European countriers encourage preserving the heart for food and shooting further back, in the liver.

It's something i would never tolerate on my grounds nor would anyone i know as the deer can escape and can take up to 15-20mins to die - a slow painful death.
Scotsgun

#12 Post by Scotsgun »

Dougan wrote:We've got a lot of deer in Dorset - the rate of deer shooting is more than sustainable, and you can get it in plenty of pubs and restaurants - but they can rarely tell what type of deer the venison came from, so I don't know which I prefer to eat. ....
Don't eat anywhere that can't tell you which venison they are serving nor where it came from. Each and every deer that enters the food chain must be registered with sex, species, general condition, any notifiable health concerns and location killed/stalked. The game dealer will have these and any place that is serious about their venison will ordinarily collect these details with the carcass/meat. Those places that are unconcerned are the types that would serve you red stag during the rut or perhaps source theirs from the local naughty boys.

There's a world of difference between fat farmed and lean hillside venison, robust red and sweet muntjac venison.
Dougan wrote: As for spotting them - I find it easier to get close to the sika (but there are quite a lot down here), as I tend to see them on the edges of woods, where as the roe tend to be in the woods (although easier at this time of year, due to the rut). Last month I was walking down a path to some woods (on our range), and spotted a sika laying down in a bush about 70 yrds away - it had seen me, but I prettended not to have seen it - I continued down the path and got within 10 m of it - as soon as I stopped and looked at it, it was up and off....I could have dropped it with a hand gun if I'd wanted to.
You're not crediting the deer for the intelligence they have. I can guarantee you were spotted long before you think but were ignored as you perceived as not being a threat. It lost interest in you and then you surprised it by continuing to bore in on it. It's like when deer stand just on the other side of a hedge with heavy traffic or continue to feed completely unconcerned 20yds from the farmers tractor. Now watch their reaction when the stalker's car come along that forest lane or they spot someone they don't like the look of.....I've often thought the best way to observe deer is wear a bright orange mac, hide my rifle under a bobble hat and chat away to myself at the top of my voice.
Dougan wrote: I've never really found it that challenging getting close (within 200 mtrs) to deer, so I'm not sure why it's called 'deer stalking' - would 'deer shooting' not be more appropriate? Now finding Adders - that's challenging...I've only ever seen a couple, when I've been deliberatly looking for them....
That's because you don't understand stalking. It would be 'shooting' if i shot at every deer i came across. Stalking is about managing a population of deer. I know roughly how many deer are on my patch, which sex and ages. I can even recognise on sight some of the louder characters. It's about observation and the only way you can do that is to get close to them. Can you consistently stalk into a group of deer to say 30-40yds, remain unnoticed for say five minutes and then get back out without ever spooking them? That's what stalkers do on a regular basis.

A stalker will have a cull plan and in most cases will choose a specific animal to cull long before they ever reach for the car keys. I may spend hundreds of hours on the land, but actually shooting the deer only totals perhaps a few hours in real terms, in total, e.g. small weak bucks/stags must be culled at the start of the rut to avoid excess stress on those whose bloodlines you wish to promote, spent bucks/stags should be taken at the end of the rut and unlikely to survive the winter, older does/hinds will require culling if weak or have had 2 or 3 dependants before the harsh weather. Spikers must always be taken before a rut and lame/diseased deer immediately.

So next time you go to that forest and spot a deer, consider if you could return and stalk into that exact same deer, regardless of it's location and take it on your own terms. Take it on your choosing and without spooking or causing undue disruption to the rest of the wildlife there?
Robin128

#13 Post by Robin128 »

Great post!

:)
Dougan

#14 Post by Dougan »

I'm sure (I hope) that the couple of places I've had venison are reputable - I think it's probably that the waiters/waitresses can't be botherd to ask...I'll ask the manager next time.

Very interesting about 'stalking' - I can see the difference now between that, and just shooting a deer - In fact I'm actually impressed at the level of detail considered.

I don't know about getting to 30/40 yrds to a group, unless I pick a good spot and let them come to me...I'm probably good for about 75/100 yrds though...maybe I should try that 'challenge'.....

There is one place I go where I know there is deer from their tracks, but I havn't seen one yet - It's a long path down to a beach, and on either side is very thick brambles and other scrub...I know they're in there. I generally only go in winter, so am usually gone before dusk, so will have to go earlier this year (Autumn) and make a proper effort to see them. If I don't, I could take some photos of the tracks (very obvious in the mud), and maybe someone could help identify them...
Scotsgun

#15 Post by Scotsgun »

Dougan wrote:I'm sure (I hope) that the couple of places I've had venison are reputable - I think it's probably that the waiters/waitresses can't be botherd to ask...I'll ask the manager next time.
I always ask. You have no idea how different the venison can be depending upon the species and time of year. Consider the red deer. Now most think that red is the best and would be more than content to tuck into a big plate of venison if they were told it was a highland stag. However the majority of stags are taken during the rut and this is exactly when their bodies are pumped full of testesterone and adrenaline; the levels are so high that it practically drives them mad. I've literally stood still and had a stag chase and hind around me, in a big circle for perhaps 10mins as his drive to mate was so strong.
That same stag will be battle scarred, dresses himself in his own musk by laying on his back and p*** on himself and his whole physiology changes - compare a stag in normal times to the pumped up same animal with enlarged neck and glands and grossly enlarged muscles. You can smell the buggers from a long distance off and the meat is fowl. I'd much rather take such a beast before the rut (before his body changes) and after, when he's passed on his genes. However if forced to take him, then the meat is usually used to feed the dogs.

Here's a pic of a stag i took during the rut. Note his poor condition with weak antlers. He was suffering from a leg injury, one antler was broken and couldn't hold his own against the healthy stags, hence he was getting battered silly. He was literally honking - the smell so bad and no doubt the meat was poor. Almost 30stone of dog meat with very poor chance of survival. However i've no doubt some disreputable restraunt would serve him up.

If you want a real challenge then try stalking into a group of red hinds. The groups is structured with the oldest at the top of the pecking order, ultimately one wiley old hind as the boss. Now she's survived because she's smart and she's cautious - she'll have lookouts stationed, never stops in exposed areas and is incredibly careful.
I could cull many hinds every year because the estates can't get paying stalkers to go. Who in their right mind will pay hundreds in the almost certain knowledge that their chances of success are nil?
swampy

#16 Post by swampy »

Hi Guys,
so far my roe buck season has been pretty quiet. i am not getting out very much this year. i think i have had about 5 outings. one with my dad, we saw 2 does. two further outings where i got a buck each time. Finally an outing on 22nd July where i saw a doe only. I will be out tonight. with the new (very old) .30-06.

i will hope to try and get out a few more times during the latter end of the season. I have just started a new shift pattern which will give me more rest days in the week.

swampy