20b O/U, 20b semi auto or 12b semi auto

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

dave_303

20b O/U, 20b semi auto or 12b semi auto

#1 Post by dave_303 »

My wife is looking at getting into clay shooting, I’m not well versed in this side of the sport and thus far made do with my grandfathers old S/S.

She tried a 12b O/U today and felt it too heavy and too heavy in recoil for her (she’s a small framed person).

What would likely be a better choice for her?
Is. 20b semi auto a good compromise in weight and recoil reduction or do semi auto 12b genuinely reduce recoil significantly?
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

Re: 20b O/U, 20b semi auto or 12b semi auto

#2 Post by the running man »

Been shooting clays over 30 years... I find not much difference between 12 and 20 apart from price...
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: 20b O/U, 20b semi auto or 12b semi auto

#3 Post by DaveB »

My wife shoots a 20b semi, and she quite likes it. She finds 12b a bit much and as the running man said, effectively, there is little difference. A 12b semi will have a bit less recoil than an o/u, but naturally will have more felt recoil than the identical model 20b. The biggest thing is to ensure that whatever you buy for her - you get it fitted to her. My wife is a bit vertically challenged and we got her a Franchi 'youth model'. A properly fitted gun makes all the difference.