The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 pm 

Home club or Range: Bisley
Hi all.

I have a Lyman crusher which I believe is what they describe as a 'snap over' press.

When I bought this second hand it came with some Lee dies including a neck sizing die which gave p on me the other week whereby the screw cap striped its thread and just pushes off now. I have just bought a new one and the instructions warns that it needs to be set up properly if using a toggle or snap over press as it is easy to break it.

Can anyone give me any advice setting it up with this Lyman press?

Thanks,
Steve

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am 
Site Supporter Since 2016

I can't give you advice on the press but on the die I can. You don't need to apply much to neck size the brass using the collet die. I believe the instructions state 25lb of force, which is just enough to pull down on the handle but not putting you body weight on top of the handle.

You could try applying force to some weighing scales, just lean on it with your arm and push down until you get 25lb (2 stone is around 28lb) to get a feel for the amount of force. I too stripped the threads on my first collet die but figuring out how much this force was actually required made all the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:34 am 
Site Supporter Since 2015

25lb pressure at the die is really very little with a compound press, not much more than one finger stuff. I recently made a seating force gauge, calibrated in lbs and was amazed at how much actual pressure even my simple homemade arbour press produces without too much effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9DBuQrGZg8&t=21s