XTR 12 AR Shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff

Re: XTR 12 AR Shotgun

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Its the MAIN plus about the XTR (over the Typhoon) IMO and the RS S1 is the same, just pop the back cover and all the guts come out. When i was deciding what to change to from the BR99 this was a major factor as you want to keep a competition gun clean.

The main reason i went with the F12 is I couldn't get on with the AK controls layout and I hate the rear charging handle of the XTR/normal AR's. It didn't help the fact the XTR i tried had a charging handle that would occasionally snag slightly on the gas rod and bop you on the nose while you were shooting it!! wtf

A new shooter at my local PSG club has recently bought a Derya MK12 which looked like a tempting alternative to the F12 as i was particularly interested in fact you can switch the side the charging handle goes on, i would much prefer mine on the left side, but then i watched the dissassembly/cleaning video and it makes the F12 look like a Glock.... 5mith
DVC
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#12 Post by 38Super »

Blackstuff wrote:It didn't help the fact the XTR i tried had a charging handle that would occasionally snag slightly on the gas rod and bop you on the nose while you were shooting it!! wtf
Do you know if it was a standard charging handle? I've been told that the cause of a number of broken XTR's was people fitting aftermarket AR10 charging handles which interfered with the bolt and gas piston.
Blackstuff

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm honestly not sure. I tried it just after it was bought so I assume it was the original but I can't say for definite. Its possible he'd weakened the spring that operates the latch that holds the handle to the receiver in an attempt to make it easier to operate, or his just had a defective spring in it, but what ever it was it was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened!
DVC
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#14 Post by 38Super »

Blackstuff wrote:I'm honestly not sure. I tried it just after it was bought so I assume it was the original but I can't say for definite. Its possible he'd weakened the spring that operates the latch that holds the handle to the receiver in an attempt to make it easier to operate, or his just had a defective spring in it, but what ever it was it was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened!
If the bolt was hitting the charging handle it's no wonder they kept breaking.
The original charging handle was latched on both sides but has now been changed to left side only.
John R
Home club or Range: Altcar

#15 Post by John R »

I am a new member so still trying to work out what to do. How would I find the Vepr for sale on the forum?
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#16 Post by Nelly2014 »

John R wrote:I am a new member so still trying to work out what to do. How would I find the Vepr for sale on the forum?
Probably better to consider the Armsan RS-S1, easier to find if a bit less well made, Turkish innit?
John R

#17 Post by John R »

Maybe, I have an RSS1 lined up to pick up this week, just thought I would have a quick look at a Vepr. Any idea how 'Gasman' fixed his muzzle brake on?
John R

#18 Post by John R »

I have picked my RSS1 up, can anybody suggest where I can get 10 round mags from?
Blackstuff

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

DVC
John R

#20 Post by John R »

Thanks, I don't suppose you know how 'Gasman' attached his muzzle brake to his RSS1?