Bisley Live Gun and Country Sports Show

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Bisley Live Gun and Country Sports Show

#41 Post by dromia »

I think Bisley is off the map for a lot of people who aren't on its doorstep be cause of the price of travel, food etc if the HAM weekend was anything to go by. Be interesting to see what the Trafalgar weekend is like.

I can understand the NRA seeking income at no captital risk to themselves however it is a big reputational risk putting their trust in a remote organisation, also I think its a bit off message for the NRA to being going into game fairs confusing even further what they are supposed to be about.

I wish the event success though even although I doubt it would be put over as a failure even if it was, we are a postmodern society. :evil:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
rox

#42 Post by rox »

dromia wrote:I think its a bit off message for the NRA to being going into game fairs
But the NRA isn't 'going into game fairs' any more than they have 'gone into' Harley Davidsons or hot rods.
dromia wrote:however it is a big reputational risk putting their trust in a remote organisation
This makes it sound like the NRA has engaged some organisation to run a game fair for them. They have not. This is not 'The NRA Game Fair'. If the HOG ralley failed, or the Hot Rod weekend failed, does that damage the reputation of the NRA/NSC? If hot rodders don't like the venue they should look to the event organisers to find a better venue next year. Same thing here. Thanks for your business - hope you find something more suitable.

If the event proves not to be viable then it probably won't happen again; never mind - some revenue was raised as a one-off, that's good (and much better than making a loss by giving it for free). If it is viable then it may happen again and there could be further revenue raising opportunities. Even better.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#43 Post by dromia »

Its not quiet as clear as that. I don't recall the NRA promoting the HD event in the same way to shooters. The promotion gives the impression that the NRA is very involved in this in a way that it hasn't with other "lets".

I don't think that a HD flop would be associated with the NRA but a shooting flop that has been widely promoted by the NRA surely runs the risk. I certainly thought it was an NRA event 'till I read this thread.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

rox

#44 Post by rox »

dromia wrote:Its not quiet as clear as that. I don't recall the NRA promoting the HD event in the same way to shooters. The promotion gives the impression that the NRA is very involved in this in a way that it hasn't with other "lets".

I don't think that a HD flop would be associated with the NRA but a shooting flop that has been widely promoted by the NRA surely runs the risk. I certainly thought it was an NRA event 'till I read this thread.
I don't think there's a large intersection between the Harley and Hot-rod communities and the NRA membership, and marketing irrelevant events to the membership could certainly damage the NRA's reputation. Plus, some of the communities are effectively 'closed', such as the 'Owning the Night' exhibition and I think the HOG (Harley) rally is actually a private 'owners group' event (I don't know how the hot rod thing works). In this case the event is open to all, of potential interest to a larger section of the NRA membership, and therefore a mailshot to the membership is acceptable and might have a useful impact on attendance and the visibility of the event for a minimal cost. It is, after all, in the interest of the NRA and its members that the event is a success so that it continues to generate revenue in future years. Even if the event doesn't take off there should be a positive financial outcome which has been achieved without financial risk.

dromia
Site Admin

#45 Post by dromia »

I didn't say it wasn't acceptable for the NRA to promote the event I was just pointing out the difference that you blurred in your post.

Therefore the points in my original post still stand.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

rox

#46 Post by rox »

dromia wrote:I didn't say it wasn't acceptable for the NRA to promote the event
I didn't suggest that you did...

I suggest that promoting events likely to be relevant is 'acceptible', but promoting events likely to be irrelevent could be considered unacceptible marketing, besides which if they aren't even open to NRA members, they would be irrelevant.
dromia wrote:I was just pointing out the difference that you blurred in your post.

Therefore the points in my original post still stand.
erm, right, blurred? no idea - oh well...
alan108

#47 Post by alan108 »

I was very tempted to go to Bisley ,BUT, on reading through a bit more i find that to use the rifles and pistols there you have to register at a cost of £12.50p.+ £20 shooting vouchers!!!!! yeh right.

stupid isn't in my name, YET!! :bad:

Alan :(
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#48 Post by Mike357 »

Anyway, where are our discounted tickets? Gonna be quite a task to get all these discounted tickets out before the show. Do you want our secretaries address?

http://www.bisleylive.com/bisley-live-clubs.php
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#49 Post by bobbob »

Mike357 wrote:Anyway, where are our discounted tickets? Gonna be quite a task to get all these discounted tickets out before the show. Do you want our secretaries address?

http://www.bisleylive.com/bisley-live-clubs.php
Not heard anything from our club about this :?
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa

#50 Post by Ovenpaa »

As it is not being run by the NRA and Bisley is just the venue I am not sure how the organisers would know about the UK clubs by name unless the NRA were asked for details of NRA affiliated clubs.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal