Full bore pistol and SLR petition

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
John25

Re: Full bore pistol and SLR petition

#11 Post by John25 »

Sorry guys (and Gals) I have a big problem with the last paragraph of the petition.

An appeal procedure (heard by a jury) should be introduced so that any ex-offender has the chance to obtain an FAC, regardless of what crimes he committed and when.

I can't therefore sign this.

:bad:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

John25 wrote:Sorry guys (and Gals) I have a big problem with the last paragraph of the petition.

An appeal procedure (heard by a jury) should be introduced so that any ex-offender has the chance to obtain an FAC, regardless of what crimes he committed and when.

It struck me as odd as well but the "heard by a jury" hopefully should mean a very good filter to who gets approved.
Robin128

#13 Post by Robin128 »

John25 wrote:Sorry guys (and Gals) I have a big problem with the last paragraph of the petition.

Likewise.

Sorry.

:(
Dougan

#14 Post by Dougan »

No problem with SLRs or pistols if a person shoots with a reputable club - but I'm with John25 too...the last part makes it unsignable...
Scotsgun

#15 Post by Scotsgun »

I'll agree to support each and every shooter, regardless of class or type of firearm, provided i consider them fit and safe. I can't support this petition as i consider some who would benefit from such a change to be unfit.

If i were a suspiscious man, i'd wonder if the writer of this petition has been convicted of a violent crime?
Robin128

#16 Post by Robin128 »

That thought had crossed my mind too.

:roll:
Tower75

#17 Post by Tower75 »

Maybe we should write our own? :squirrel:
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#18 Post by Mike357 »

Our own petition, now that is a good idea. :clap:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Suppressor

#19 Post by Suppressor »

The way I read the last part is that FACs should be granted (in the same manner as a SGC) unless the person has a conviction for a violent crime , with an appeal procedure. That's sounds nothing but fair and rational.

I've heard of FACs not being granted due to petty things like cautions over cannabis or trip ups with firearms legislation such as having a few rounds of .22lr not designated on a certificate. 'Criminal' doesn't always mean bad person! :D
Porcupine

#20 Post by Porcupine »

If you're safe to be released from prison, you're safe to own a gun. If you're not safe to be released from prison then you shouldn't be. Of course that isn't necessarily how prison works unfortunately, but then a lot of people are made criminals who shouldn't be so that cuts both ways.

We don't ban people from owning knives, bats, ligatures, cans of petrol or anything else people use to kill other people. We don't even ban people from driving for life unless they actually kill someone - and even then it is only a ban from driving in public, not from owning a car or driving on private land like a race track.