Shotgun for the Misses!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Shotgun for the Misses!

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All.

I took my misses clay pigeon shooting yesterday and she absolutely loved it! She isn't really one for hobbies so its great to find something she wants to keep doing. So the next step is to get her some lessons, which I have sorted. Following that I want to get her a shotgun. It will go on my licence for now as there won't be a time when she goes without me any time soon.
So can anyone recommend a cheap 20 bore to get her started? I have a Lanber 12 bore which does the job for me. But she can't hold it up. We borrowed a 20 bore yesterday and that was much easier for her. Budget of around £3-400 s/h.
Attachments
IMG-20200202-WA0004.jpg
Polchraine

Re: Shotgun for the Misses!

#2 Post by Polchraine »

Worth having a read of: https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36786

p.s.
Your wife is normally the Missus, and your daughters would be the Misses ... or at least where I come from.

That is unles you are referring to your ability or lack of at hitting or missing clays :p

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#3 Post by JS569 »

I bought a 20b Lincoln for my wife after a lot of research, like you I didn't want to go mad on the budget so from memory spent £400. I spent a lot of time researching it and others, the Lincoln seemed like the best option for the money. Only complaint is that the length of pull is a bit short, but I'm 6'3 and she's 5'10 so we're probably a bit above average but nothing a butt pad wouldn't solve. Overall a well made gun, reliable and even has a nice bit of engraving, it's light and handy so I even use it occasionally on our syndicate now and again. Certainly not on parr with a Beretta but for half the price (of a beaten up 20g) and for the amount she uses it, I'm glad we went with the Lincoln. There was a Rizzini (can't remember which member of the Rizzini family made this gun) that it came down to but the Lincoln seemed like the better piece. Hope that helps.
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Thanks both. I will have a look.
Polchraine wrote: p.s.
Your wife is normally the Missus, and your daughters would be the Misses ... or at least where I come from.

That is unles you are referring to your ability or lack of at hitting or missing clays :p
She actually did ok. She hit about 8 out of 25. Not bad for a first go considering she has never fired a gun of any sort in her life! Shes actually not even my wife yet, still a fiance...
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

You need to be careful about phraseology ...

You are NOT buying her a gun, you are buying another gun for yourself that she will be able to use. Technically, it is an offence to "buy a gun" for a non-SGC holder even though she will only use it in your presence and never be responsible for storage.

I would suggest getting her SGC application in fairly soon ... it will make things easier such as "can you go and pick up 1000 cartridges for me" ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#6 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Sounds like a great swop.
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:You need to be careful about phraseology ...

You are NOT buying her a gun, you are buying another gun for yourself that she will be able to use. Technically, it is an offence to "buy a gun" for a non-SGC holder even though she will only use it in your presence and never be responsible for storage.

I would suggest getting her SGC application in fairly soon ... it will make things easier such as "can you go and pick up 1000 cartridges for me" ...
Thats a fair comment. I am reluctant to do that just yet as she would have to have a separate cabinet (I have FAC as well). She also suffered from post natal depression when our daughter was born 4 years ago and is on pretty sturdy painkillers for a nerve problem in her hips. She is having all sorts of scans to try and find and fix the problem so I think we want that solved and her off the painkillers before she applies for her cert.

But as you suggest I will buy a shotgun for myself, which she can use, and then when she is able to hold a cert herself I will gift it to her.

I wouldn't mind having another cabinet for shotguns that we can share though.... Free's up more space for firearms in my cabinet! lol
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

Egg on Leggs1 wrote:Sounds like a great swop.

signfunnypost

Yep sounds like a good trade in
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

Pippin89 wrote: Thats a fair comment. I am reluctant to do that just yet as she would have to have a separate cabinet (I have FAC as well).

She also suffered from post natal depression when our daughter was born 4 years ago and is on pretty sturdy painkillers for a nerve problem in her hips.
There is actually no need to have a cabinet - she can own and if they are also on your cert, your provide storage. Also allows her to shoot without you.

PND - may be an issue although now downstream and no recurrence, why should it be a major problem? Maybe one to investigate through BASC (or similar) if you are a member. As for painkillers that will be down to the FEO/GP and potentially the one she uses.

- Abraham Lincoln

Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

Pippin89 wrote:Hi All.

I took my misses clay pigeon shooting yesterday and she absolutely loved it! She isn't really one for hobbies so its great to find something she wants to keep doing. So the next step is to get her some lessons, which I have sorted. Following that I want to get her a shotgun. It will go on my licence for now as there won't be a time when she goes without me any time soon.
So can anyone recommend a cheap 20 bore to get her started? I have a Lanber 12 bore which does the job for me. But she can't hold it up. We borrowed a 20 bore yesterday and that was much easier for her. Budget of around £3-400 s/h.

Excellent, I hope she continues to enjoy it.

But I have to say, don't place your hand on your wife's back whilst she's learning, she has to be able to absorb the recoil. Preventing her body from moving with that recoil, even a little, will increase the felt effect. This hurts more. Could easily put someone off, or even injure them if they don't have the gun mounted properly as well.

If that's not you in the picture, tell this instructor to "get his hands off your wife"! Simple physics and bad instruction.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!