At what point do you batten down the hatches?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Re: At what point do you batten down the hatches?

#21 Post by TRG-22 »

Dark Skies wrote:Natural selection might just thin out the more pathetic in society.
OTOH the 1918-20 flu pandemic killed, proportionately, far more fit, healthy young people than it did the young/old/infirm.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
BamBam

#22 Post by BamBam »

Some helpful weekend viewing. :squirrel:
Laurie

#23 Post by Laurie »

BestDrugDoc wrote:It will be the hype/hysteria that causes the most damage.

I wouldnt worry about the virus at the moment.

............... except for the economic effects. The container pipeline from China is around six weeks duration in time terms, so western industry is still living on pre Covid-19 supplies. Given how interdependent countries now are, any significant shut-downs, isolations etc risk major downstream effects. Jaguar Land Rover says it'll start closing production down in three weeks time and it'll not be alone. The US high-tech electronics goods industry can't live (in the short term anyway) without China. German industry is already taking a hit in both directions to China, shortage of components coming in and orders for machine tools etc, finished car exports etc already in collapse. If other industrially important Asian countries are similarly affected there will be shortages of everything down to and including M&S knickers.

... and should continental Europe batten the hatches and close the channel or Atlantic ports down, we'll soon regret making ourselves so reliant on imported French, Dutch, Italian and Spanish agricultural produce. That's worst case and I'd reckon a really low probability, but the Chinese manufactures issue has already happened, simply hasn't shown up yet.
gashtyke

#24 Post by gashtyke »

Wise words, Laurie. But I think the medical/social impact will follow shortly.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

gashtyke wrote:Wise words, Laurie. But I think the medical/social impact will follow shortly.
What medical social impact we have had 23 cases.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

23 reported cases, I wonder how many more there are that have gone unreported both here and abroad.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#27 Post by Daryll »

To be honest, I bet there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of unconfirmed cases...

Apparently for a normal, reasonably fit person the symptoms are no worse than a bad cold... so how many people think they have the "sniffles", but actually have the virus...??

Someone in the office pointed out the other day that the news is full of the 2k deaths... but don't mention the 30k people who were confirmed cases, that recovered...

.. and did anyone else pick up on the fact that a few kilometers away from the Wuhan fishmarket, there is a Virology lab that was investigating into engineering viruses..?? I wonder if its "Umbrella Corp"... :-)
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#28 Post by Dark Skies »

Daryll wrote:To be honest, I bet there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of unconfirmed cases...

Apparently for a normal, reasonably fit person the symptoms are no worse than a bad cold... so how many people think they have the "sniffles", but actually have the virus...??

Someone in the office pointed out the other day that the news is full of the 2k deaths... but don't mention the 30k people who were confirmed cases, that recovered...

.. and did anyone else pick up on the fact that a few kilometers away from the Wuhan fishmarket, there is a Virology lab that was investigating into engineering viruses..?? I wonder if its "Umbrella Corp"... :-)
Agreed. You're more likely to be trampled by the hysterical herd than catching the virus.

And courtesy of the bowel watering panic the media have created economies are taking a hit and the usual hypochondriacs are flooding medical practices. Makes me wonder how many genuinely ill people (with more mundane illnesses) are now seriously ill / dead for want of being able to see their GP in a timely manner had the worrying queue-cloggers not been in their way.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Gazza

#29 Post by Gazza »

We have 560 bog rolls now :good:
Christel
Site Admin

#30 Post by Christel »

Gazza wrote:We have 560 bog rolls now :good:
I can't believe you counted them 8-) lol