Ordering Ration Packs Online - Your Experiences?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

Ordering Ration Packs Online - Your Experiences?

#1 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

Hey all - I was poking through a website I'd found called EVAQ8 which seems to offer decent deals on dried food and ration packs. However, the words of my dad echoed through my head as I browsed; "if it looks too good to be true... it is!"

Have any of you ever ordered from there, or equivalent sites? Also, more of a general question; what should I be looking out for when ordering long-life survival food?

Cheers!
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Ordering Ration Packs Online - Your Experiences?

#2 Post by DaveB »

The trouble with most ration packs is their limited shelf-life. Five or so years from now you'll be taking them to work as lunch, or tossing them out.

Then I found a company called "Mountain House" their buckets of freeze-dried food last 20+ years. Why? because they have no meat in them. I am given to understand that no matter what you do to it, meat only keeps so long. By making their rations meatless, they get a much greater shelf-life. With those in hand, all I need to do is buy some packets of freeze-dried meat on its own (to add to them when I prepare them), which I change over every 5-7 years as directed on the label. Works out a lot cheaper and easier than junking the whole lot.

Just a thought.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#3 Post by TRG-22 »

I agree - watch the shelf life, that could be one reason they are cheap.

And look out some reviews of MREs. I remember one where the guy said the "steak meal" was so bad even his dog wouldn't eat it.

I've bought Hotcans from EVAQ8 in the past, and on the basis of that experience I can confirm that they are a perfectly OK company.

If you want any flameless heaters I'll see if I can dig out the details of the ones I bought - not from EVAQ8, the one they sell isn't as good.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is a chap on YT that happily tests ration packs many years out of date and by his own admission has only been caught out seriously once. I have happily eaten MRE's that were 6-7 years out of date in the past and to this day will probably eat the contents of a tin that is a couple of years past the sell by date.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal