Tommy

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Tommy

#11 Post by dromia »

The Angel of the North has the same ageing, and the feet are shiny from human contact.

The Angel was originally supposed to be sheathed with copper plates but 'twere thought the temptation would be too much for the itinerant scrap collecting community.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
redcat
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#12 Post by redcat »

Tommy is easy on the eye - the Angel is £850,000 worth of scrap. If that was visible from my house I'd want my council tax reduced.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#13 Post by TRG-22 »

Beauty is in the eye of...
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Tommy is a work of art I have visited it several times. The fish and chip shop across the road make the journey worth while.
Polchraine

#15 Post by Polchraine »

redcat wrote:Tommy is easy on the eye - the Angel is £850,000 worth of crap. If that was visible from my house I'd want my council tax reduced.

Redcat
Corrected for you ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Not a fan of Gormley but to be fair his original designs for the angel were of a very different work which had an elegance and lightness to it that was totally lost when the engineers got a hold of it.

If you are ever in Gateshead Gormley's original maquettes for the piece are on display in the Civic Centre and the difference 'tween the original idea and what eventually was built is striking.

Heedless of its failure to be that which was envisioned it is a very popular attraction and over the years has become loved by many of the people of Gateshead. Although as a failed work of art it isn't worth the money it has repaid the cost in the promotional value it has for the town many times . In days gone by when I used to travel a lot to foreign climes I was struck by how often the Angel would appear in the local countries media. It has captured imagination's across the globe regardless of of its failure to deliver the original concept and people in the main seem to like and enjoy it just for what it is.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#17 Post by Pete »

gorm.jpg
Another Gormley, at Winchester cathedral..........it actually looks better when the crypt is flooded.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#18 Post by Pete »

And I have to say, a bit of art makes a nice change from all the whingeing..........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin

#19 Post by dromia »

"Art". Now there is a word to ponder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

dromia wrote:"Art". Now there is a word to ponder.
Yes indeed.