Registering as a registered fire arms dealer.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Registering as a registered fire arms dealer.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

What is the minimum requirement to become a registered firearms dealer. Is there a guideline I can refer to.
Feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong section. Just let me know were you have moved it to. PLEASE.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Registering as a registered fire arms dealer.

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

If you are in Durham and want to work from home DON'T EVEN TRY!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
MistAgain

#3 Post by MistAgain »

There is plenty of Home Office guidance out there ,however its up to your local force as to what level security they want .

If it was Merseyside , the first question they will ask is "Why do you want an RFD when there are xxx other RFD's within 1 hours drive ?"

The second question will be , "can we see your business plan ?"
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#4 Post by TRG-22 »

Is Q2 to try and stop those with loadsamoney becoming "RFDs" in order to get their hands on guns which they otherwise could not?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
MistAgain

#5 Post by MistAgain »

TRG-22 wrote:Is Q2 to try and stop those with loadsamoney becoming "RFDs" in order to get their hands on guns which they otherwise could not?
Many years back GMP had a policy of only processing new RFD's if they had registered for VAT . I believe they relented after receiving a letter from a lawyer that had the words "unlawful restraint of trade" mentioned several times .

Things have changed a bit since then , This is from Home Office Guidance ...........The chief officer should normally expect to be provided with a business plan,indicating the nature of the business, which will assist the licensing staff to assess the proposed extent of trading or whether dealing in firearms will be an essential part of another business.
TRG-22

#6 Post by TRG-22 »

That guidance still makes me wonder why. As long as someone is personally OK to be an RFD, and has all the physical security needed, and (if it's required) can show that he knows the law, what business is it of the police to vet his business plan?

In other words if someone would be allowed to register as a dealer if they had a business plan that the police liked, what justifiable concerns would the police have about the guy registering if the only box not ticked was an acceptable BP?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

A couple of friends have become RFDs and their biggest hurdle was an appropriate business plan and the financials to back it up. One part time from home, had far, far greater trouble that the one who actually opened a shop.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TRG-22

#8 Post by TRG-22 »

Again - why do they care?

For sure I think that the requirements for becoming an RFD should be stringent regarding things that matter, but why does a business plan matter?

What am I missing?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

A dealer is defined at Section 57(4) of the Firearms Act 1968 as a person or a corporate body who, by way of trade or business: manufactures, sells, transfers, repairs, tests or proves firearms or ammunition to which section 1 of the Act applies, or shotguns; or sells or transfers air weapons. So if you no “business” you essentially do not meet the criteria as laid down in legislation.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TRG-22

#10 Post by TRG-22 »

Mmm.