SWiNG action for F Class?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

tikkathreebarrels

SWiNG action for F Class?

#1 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

The SWiNG action being the father of the RPA, could there be any problem with building a .284 F Class rifle around a SWiNG action?
Ovenpaa

Re: SWiNG action for F Class?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I reckon it would make a fine F Open rifle. It has a solid single feed action and should cope with .284 nicely. Just add a chambered barrel of your choice. It may come up a bit light for class but that does mean you can add weight where you want to and use a heavier 'scope. If you do stop with the original stock I may have a 3" wide adapter plate that can be attached to a front T Slot so you can use a BR/F Open type front rest.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
sanselm

#3 Post by sanselm »

I know of a couple of Swings used in F T/R but I would point out that the only downside I would see is the bolt lift which on the ones I have tried are fairly heavy. On an F T/R gun on a bipod it isn't as much of an issue, on an open gun it might upset things a little, lifting the rifle out of the front rest, I know of shooters (inc the World Champion F Open) that won't use 4 luggers for that reason and use two lug Bats instead. Having said that it is a good strong action and that would be my only worry with it.
R.G.C

#4 Post by R.G.C »

ovenpaa wrote:I reckon it would make a fine F Open rifle. It has a solid single feed action and should cope with .284 nicely. Just add a chambered barrel of your choice. It may come up a bit light for class but that does mean you can add weight where you want to and use a heavier 'scope. If you do stop with the original stock I may have a 3" wide adapter plate that can be attached to a front T Slot so you can use a BR/F Open type front rest.

Using an already possessed Swing rifle for F-TR is one thing, but building a new rifle around a venerable action and also changing bolt face is an other.

There are Swings and Swings, and it would be necessary to consider the model and condition of some particular points of the action first.

R.G.C
tikkathreebarrels

#5 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

R.G.C wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:I reckon it would make a fine F Open rifle. It has a solid single feed action and should cope with .284 nicely. Just add a chambered barrel of your choice. It may come up a bit light for class but that does mean you can add weight where you want to and use a heavier 'scope. If you do stop with the original stock I may have a 3" wide adapter plate that can be attached to a front T Slot so you can use a BR/F Open type front rest.

Using an already possessed Swing rifle for F-TR is one thing, but building a new rifle around a venerable action and also changing bolt face is an other.

There are Swings and Swings, and it would be necessary to consider the model and condition of some particular points of the action first.

R.G.C
Okay, one step at a time please and eager to learn something, I should ask which model of Swing (where is that information available?) and find out about what in particular please? (The RFD has already indicated that bolt lift isn't especially stiff on this one).

What Bolt face issue - isn't .284 the same bolt face as .308/7.62?
R.G.C

#6 Post by R.G.C »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:
R.G.C wrote:

R.G.C
Okay, one step at a time please and eager to learn something, I should ask which model of Swing (where is that information available?) and find out about what in particular please? (The RFD has already indicated that bolt lift isn't especially stiff on this one).

What Bolt face issue - isn't .284 the same bolt face as .308/7.62?
True for the .284 and sorry for the calibre confusion..

For the rest, the model would already be an indication. The Walter post on Wikipedia would give you identification indications but model and number engraved on it could help.

Now, if for you the bolt lift is the only criteria, follow your dealers advice.

R.G.C
tikkathreebarrels

#7 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

R.G.C wrote:
For the rest, the model would already be an indication. The Walter post on Wikipedia would give you identification indications but model and number engraved on it could help.

R.G.C
Do you mean this article?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_rifles

Serial number apparently 76 :?:
R.G.C

#8 Post by R.G.C »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:
R.G.C wrote:

R.G.C
Do you mean this article?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_rifles

Serial number apparently 76 :?:
OK, if the number is right, it is a Mark 1

To help identiication:

-Are the barrel threads a square pith 10tpi?

-Is the Bolt one-piece or with a separate Bolthead

-Is the action briwnish in colour and with casting marks in some internal places.

Is it eventually possible to hae a picture of the right side (R/Haction) and of bottom with the trigger removed?

R.G.C
tikkathreebarrels

#9 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

R.G.C wrote:

To help identiication:

-Is the action briwnish in colour and with casting marks in some internal places.

Is it eventually possible to hae a picture of the right side (R/Haction) and of bottom with the trigger removed?

R.G.C
Thank you. I await photos which won't come today and I'll put your questions specifically. Do they add to confirmation that it is a Mark 1 and, other than being older than the Marks 2, 3 and 4, what might this actually mean in terms of the feasibility of the project? Or do your questions lead toward something else?
R.G.C

#10 Post by R.G.C »

tikkathreebarrels wrote:
R.G.C wrote:

To help identiication:

R.G.C
Thank you. I await photos which won't come today and I'll put your questions specifically. Do they add to confirmation that it is a Mark 1 and, other than being older than the Marks 2, 3 and 4, what might this actually mean in terms of the feasibility of the project? Or do your questions lead toward something else?
My qestions are asked to try to give you a sensible advice. On each mark, there are point to look at in particular.

If I had the action in hand, I could probably tell you a few things on the spot, but only in writing, it is necessary to have the maximum of elements.

Lets see the pics as ir will allow identifixation, or pass the information I need to make up my mnd.

R.G.C