Winchester SX3 Cycling Problem

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

M1Charles1M
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle and Pistol Club

Winchester SX3 Cycling Problem

#1 Post by M1Charles1M »

Hi all,

I have recently bought an SX3 (8+1). Test fired it at range and cycled fine with 65mm 24g 7.5 rounds, now with that and a 67mm 24g 6 it will not cycle. It looks like the shell is passing the shell stop before it can return to the closed or stop position, on the basis that it cyled 65mm shells ok I am unsure it is shell length problem?

Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

Regards,

S
Guns are implements - They do not have Autonomy - Free thought or intent - To operate they need the input of a Person - To be Dangerous that Person must have Intent! I Shoot - I am a Law Abiding UK Subject - So what about my RIGHTS?
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Winchester SX3 Cycling Problem

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

I'm just throwing wrenches into the works as I have no diea, but could they be slower powder in the 67mm and it hasnt got the oomph to send the bolt all the way back?

Mine cycled 24g's flawlessly when i shot elsewhere, but i went to Bisley shooting ground and used thier 24's and my beretta was struggling with about 1/3 of all cartridges shot, I put it down to it being a slower powder...
John25

#3 Post by John25 »

I have an SX3 Shot everything I put in it for six months then failed to cycle some special slug.

I put it down to the shorter cartridge although it was cycling 28g 7.5 and practical slug without any difficulty.

On Monday I stripped it down and removed half a ton of crudge.

Test fired it with all sorts - no problem.

Maybe yours needs a bath? No offence but if it's second hand?

There is also the possibility that (if it is second hand) someone has been snipping springs!!

I'd be interested to hear what the outcome is.

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
M1Charles1M

#4 Post by M1Charles1M »

Thanks for the information - the gun is new and only been fired three times excluding proofing of course - can easily strip and clean but does it need a thorough clean after every use?

Regards,

S
Guns are implements - They do not have Autonomy - Free thought or intent - To operate they need the input of a Person - To be Dangerous that Person must have Intent! I Shoot - I am a Law Abiding UK Subject - So what about my RIGHTS?
John25

#5 Post by John25 »

I try to clean a gun after every time I fire it. That said, I like to test fire it before a competition. I still have nightmares about a brass brush bristle getting behind the star of my revolver! Appy days :-)
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Your active valve needs a clean???

These guns either work or they do not it would appear from all of the reviews. Many are snding them back...design fault would affect all???...perhaps there is a dodgy manufacturing/assembly problem.

Per my thread on cleaning...this is critical on my Xtrema2 it NEVER ever misses a beat now...I strip clean piston every shoot. And boy does it get a clean!

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews125749.html

:)
M1Charles1M

#7 Post by M1Charles1M »

Thank you Robin. I am finding it is a matter of cartridge length and / or cleaning seems the SX3 can be tempremental about both so will strip clean and try some 70mm's and report back on progress in case it may help someone else.

Thanks again!

S
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Lots of gas guns are shipped with a ton of long life grease on them in case they're sitting in the gun shop for a long time to keep the O-rings in good order. Did you check to see if that was the case with yours and if it was clean it all off?
DVC
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

Sendit

With my Xtrema2 once the valve and cylinder are clean to metal...do not lube it before assembly...first shell and it turns to crud.

What does your manual say on that subject?

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/06_013_sx3.pdf
M1Charles1M

#10 Post by M1Charles1M »

Robin hi!

Thank you for the link very usefull and far more comprehensive than the booklet supplied with the Gun!

I have stripped and thoroughly cleaned the gun and intend to try it out with some 70mm shells asap!

I note your point about the gas valve and keeping it ultra clean - the book says lightly oil it, I guess I could be over lubing it - I have started using M-Pro7 products and they seem very good at getting crud out that some cleaners do not always get rid of especially on my bullet rifles?

I think on your information i may just wipe out the gas valave, tube and spring assembly again before using it just in case i have been squeeze happy with the lube?

Thanks again, will post back on progress!

S