Another .22 AR15 Question.

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Steve Cole
Home club or Range: Blakenhall Gun Club, Barby Sporting

Another .22 AR15 Question.

#1 Post by Steve Cole »

Hi all,

This is my 1st post here on this forum, and its bit of a long one. I have just been granted my section 1 (about a month ago) and due to the current situation I have had plenty of time to look at all the things that I would like once lock down ends.

I have decided that a good place to start would be with a .22, and as the title suggest I am looking at an AR platform. Like I say I have been doing a lot of research however i'm struggling to find the right information/ comparisons. I fell in love with the Lantac but at £1,100 for a .22 it seemed a bit steep, especially as I plan on using it as a plinker. I have been going round in circles for the past month about what to go for and I just wanted some opinions.

At the shooting show in Feb I saw the S&W M&P 15-22 Performance, I liked the look, so thought thats what I would go for. However when I saw the ticket price compared to the other models, the standard one seems better value for money, that was until I saw the Hammerli Tac R1.

The only downside to the S&W I can see is the polymer construction. The upside is I am told they have the best magazines going, they are also very upgradable and reliable. I have considered changing the hand guard to an aluminium one as I can probably live with the rest, but that led me to looking at other rifles.

I stumbled along the Hammerli Tac R1 which is all metal, from what I can tell it is very reliable. However it is not a real AR platform and supposedly, a bit cheap inside. The trigger pull is meant to be heavy and sadly can't be changed. The barrel is also very thin with a shroud. Saying all that it does look the part.

I have found a 2nd hand Kriss, which has really caught my eye. Its a little over my budget but if its worth the extra then I would go for it. I love the full metal construction, I love the fact that everything on it works, but doing some research they are not supposed to be as reliable as the cheaper S&W? Mag issues, chocolate firing pins, FTE etc.

What is interesting is I can't find anything negative about the cheap Hammerli?? I found the odd negative about the S&W but 99% of the time people only have good things to say, and as it is the benchmark you will always get the odd negative. What is strange is from what I have read the more expensive Kriss seems 50/50 at best, which is really putting me off. Even the 2nd hand one I found is double what I can get a new Hammerli tac r1, and double what a 2nd hand S&W costs. I have heard good things on the whole about the Lantac other than the firing pins, but I do love the look of the Lantac! Equally I love the fact everything functions, and it is a true AR platform so there are a lot of parts out there that will drop in. I just keep coming back to the fact it is £1100 and I am only planning on putting a red dot on top.

Just wondering what other people have, what rout they went down and is there a different way they wish they had gone?

Thank you for any and all input.
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Another .22 AR15 Question.

#2 Post by Cornish-Viking »

I have a Kriss.

I was drawn to the fully interchangeable mil spec parts and the all metal construction. I would have been a Lantac but I couldn't take myself that far due to I don't complete in any comps that require such a rifle.

I use my Kriss for LSR and I'm getting some good results.

S&W are good, lots of guys compete and they will tell you about that. Nothing wrong with them from what I hear, but not for me. I wanted the all metal construction.

Only negatives I have with my Kriss is the last round/bolt open. This is 50/50 even with the Kriss mags. I have read that S&W mags are reliable.....I don't know. I know you can get a small spring that will cure the Kriss mags. I have a couple but haven't attempted it yet. The major thing is the firing pin. I read this before placing my order for one and it didn't bother me. I was going to upgrade to a titanium one anyway. I ordered one ready for when I collected my rifle. My Kriss pin broke around 500 round in. My brother, who brought a Kriss on the same day has still go his Kriss pin in and probably don't 2500 rounds on it. Its totally pot luck.

The Kriss is a fun gun, thoughts of parts to add to it but great our of the box. Ive changed up quite a lot on mine which annoying adds up probably to a lantac. aaarggh

Add me on instagram if you want to check it out https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#3 Post by DanTheMan »

Is the Lantac is based on the CMMG ? I know I would have one over a 15-22 regardless of price just for the weight of real metal.
Either way, a bog standard CMMG may be cheaper than the Lantac, you can add a magwell adaptor (Better-Mag) that means you can use 15-22 mags so you have the best of both worlds. I have one and it's faultless.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would look for a used Bradley Arms AR-22, they were superbly built by Mark and Nick may still be building them. The Lantac is US produced box, buy British and support our industry and innovators.

Welcome by the way :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#5 Post by Airbrush »

Ovenpaa wrote:I would look for a used Bradley Arms AR-22, they were superbly built by Mark and Nick may still be building them. The Lantac is US produced box, buy British and support our industry and innovators.

Welcome by the way :)
Rocking horse s*** Dave.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Airbrush wrote:Rocking horse s*** Dave.
Yes but you never know , one might turn up and the OP luck on it. Is Nick going to make another run as there must be a fair demand for such a rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#7 Post by Airbrush »

Ovenpaa wrote:
Airbrush wrote:Rocking horse s*** Dave.
Yes but you never know , one might turn up and the OP luck on it. Is Nick going to make another run as there must be a fair demand for such a rifle.
No idea if Nick will build any. You have to look at Marks .22’s as custom rifles, they were very labour intensive to build, best on the market at the time imo. Dan’s advise is sound, a fettled Cmmg would be my choice.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

I don't own one, but have fired a mates Lantac, and while not really my thing, as its far too modern, it was an absolute delight to shoot, and I can totally understand why those who want something for serious competition would buy one.

But, if you are looking for something just for plinking, rather than serious comps, I would struggle to justify spending Lantac money on a plinker, and can understand you looking at the Hammerli, which is definately in the .22 plinking price bracket IMHO.
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#9 Post by Dellboy »

I bought a Lantac (cmmg) liked it for its weight feels real . Just bought a Beryl again it feels real . but both are probably more than you want to spend

SR22 RUGER maybe 10/22 reliability and spares in an AR type look maybe
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

as i thought you could try Valkrie rifles custom built though so again not cheap ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.