NRA - No support for young shooters

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

NRA - No support for young shooters

#1 Post by phaedra1106 »

Hi, my club first approached the NRA in November 2018 to clarify the minimum age for shooters using MOD ranges.

After a few initial responses from Nic Couldrey we have heard virtually nothing since July 2019.

We have contacted the NRA every month and have not had a reply, our last emails were to Iain Robertson on Jan 3rd 2020 and Andrew Mercer on 26th of May 2020.

This is part of the email sent by my club to Andrew Mercer on May 26th 2020

"After the email below in January, my club held it’s AGM and I had no option but to report back that all the time and effort trying to work with the NRA over a 15 month period had resulted in no outcome and I couldn’t give members an update as communications to the NRA were not being responded to. The 100 potential youth members were stood down and the youth training I was pulling together to enable them to, hopefully, gain Safe Shooter Certification on joining the club, safeguarding policy and operating procedures for youth members, have been shelved for now.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. After a great start with Nic in 2018, I am sure work has gone on in the background but the complete lack of transparency and communication since this was handed over by Nic has led, not only to a loss of potential members to the club, members who are the future of our sport, but also a loss of revenue to the NRA in terms of potential Safe Shooter Certification and membership."
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: NRA - No support for young shooters

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

That is disgracefull.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Iain is on the forum, I have always found him very reasonable and helpful and not ever heard a bad word for him, probably his biggest issue is finding time to deal with everything! Hopefully he will see this and contact you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

I've spoken to Iain a few times over the years, as you say a very nice and very busy chap :)
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

I am not having a dig...just telling it as it happened.

Back when we went to the shows at Bisley we several times offered a new rifle foc to be used by young shooters at Bisley, got nowhere so we gave up in the end.
It would have come with no advertisements which we made clear.

It seemed to us back then that young shooters simply did not count in the bigger picture.

Emails and phone calls to Mr Mercer went unanswered and when approached in person we were told that - not now but he would get back to us.

iain R normally talks sense so why not PM him?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

At Bisley its 14 & thats an MOD Danger area & thats what SCC were all about (assuring MoD Lit Danger Areas), so maybe thats the same on an NRA range? Nic might be on furlough along with many other NRA staff? NB SCC costs do not make a profit.

The best scheme for Jnr shooters is the NRA U21 one it costs £25 & lasts to the end of their 21st year & they get club issued SCC free & the same discounts as any member. So in 3y they pay for themselves!

If anyone gets rifles or kit offered to donate to young shooters, scouts etc please feel free to contact BYSA:https://youngshooter.co.uk/ or myself as a Scout Fullbore Coach & adult instructor / member.

If they cant use it themselves they pass it on to a Uni club or a Jnr start up & if they cant use it they sell it & the proceeds go toward something they can use. I have obtained a number of rifles for them in this way & good valuable donations are sometimes sold to new shooters / graduates etc to generate sufficient funds to buy 2 basic guns for BYSA or Uni clubs etc. Same goes for relodable cases, jackets, slings, gloves, mats & other bits kit.

BYSA are not a one TR Trick pony they operate in Gallery & CSR but not FTR/Fclass. They may be creating BYSA North in the future & operating on a range near you too. I & others have been involved & helping coach, train, RCO or raise funds for them since inception. They have done much more for Jnr shooting than NRA in the last few years & should be your 1st choice 'go to' for that.

Donations to NRA wont be sold for Young Shooters they will be sold on Holts for naff all & NRA funds, same if you leave a rifle to NRA in a will, so my advice is dont. Hants & Surrey Scout RC's are charities & they support Scout rifle clubs all over the UK with shooting at Bisley, Aldersley & air rifle in almost any major scout camp facility.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

I had a similar discussion with the NRA some years ago when my daughter wanted to take up shooting. The NRA responded well to the requests for guidance from the club secretary. I no longer have the information to hand but at that time having discussed the matter with the NRA the main concerns were insurance and the ability of the youngster to physically control the firearm properly. Eventually the club settled on a minimum of 11 years of age for small bore shooting and 14 years of age for centrefire with the proviso being that the young person had to be of sufficient size to safely handle the firearm. Obviously all youngsters would at all times be supervised on a one to one basis.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

The NRA, from what I understand have no input in to the regulations permitting the use of MoD ranges, that falls to the ministry responsible. Locally, our club was informed that the minimum age is 14, as long as the young person has the stature and strength to safely handle the firearm and that they are full members of the club and have been issued a safe shooter card.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Chapuis

#9 Post by Chapuis »

In our case it was a private range. I understand that its a standard condition on all MOD ranges that no person under 14 is allowed on the range (exceptions for cadet forces).
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#10 Post by phaedra1106 »

Yes, the MOD range age is 14, our youth coordinator was in talks with the NRA and they in turn with the MOD regarding this.

As of July 2019 we were told they were up to version four or their proposals. We have requested a copy of these and indeed any information of any kind multiple times only to be ignored.