Brownells....

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Brownells....

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Has anyone else had problems with Brownells?
I ordered a part back in January which said on their website to allow 5-8 weeks for delivery. After 8 weeks (just before lockdown) I sent a chaser and got a response that they were chasing the manufacturer. Another couple of weeks go by so I chased again and got a response that it would be sent out first week of May.
So third week of may I sent another chaser and was told that they were trying to get a date from the manufacturer but they can't get one.
Another 2 weeks go by so I chase again. Get the same response that they don't have a date and they will let me know when its ready...
Randomly last week they processed the payment for it, no contact from them as promised. So I sent an email and said the payment has been processed does that mean its been shipped? The reply was no, it hasn't been shipped but its ready at the manufacturer, I will get another email as soon as its been shipped.
Another week later and no shipping notification so I have sent another chaser.

Through all of this, no apologies, no explanations for the delay, no up front emails informing me of delays I have had to go chasing. Frankly their customer service is appalling. I understand there has been a lockdown. However, the original lead time would have had it here before then, and the original lead time has passed since I was promised it would be ready without any contact unless I have chased it and sometimes not even then.
If I could get the part I am buying (a single shot follower for a Mauser 98) from anywhere else then I would have cancelled the order a long time ago. But despite many searches I can't find them anywhere else.

I would never use them again.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Brownells....

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

I don't know if you can cancel the sale but I have one of the Scorehigh K98 single shot followers you're after - just have to remember where it is and find it! If you have someone who can machine a copy I can lend it to you to use as as a template.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Blackstuff

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Never had anything like that from them. There's always the delay with the drop-ship model they operate but that sounds ridiculous. At least they've improved their postage charges (or at east they had last time I looked)
DVC
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Sandgroper wrote:I don't know if you can cancel the sale but I have one of the Scorehigh K98 single shot followers you're after - just have to remember where it is and find it! If you have someone who can machine a copy I can lend it to you to use as as a template.
Thank you for the offer. As I'm a MechE with access to a full tool making workshop I could have done this. However, I have had confirmation that it left America on today's shipment so will be here this week or early next week so will be before my next shoot with the rifle anyway.

Thanks anyway!
jcampbellsmith
Home club or Range: BDS, L&BRC

#5 Post by jcampbellsmith »

I'm not a Brownell's fan but my recent order delivered quickly in these challenging times. CDSG however leave me lost for words.
Regards
JCS
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Cornish-Viking »

Ive never had a problem. Ive always found the girls on the end of the phone really helpful and quick to sort any issues out. Fingers crossed it gets sorted.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

I had almost this exact same issue trying to get checkering tools and a red dot from them
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

Trouble is, they’re the only game in town! There prices certainly have lowered and their shipping is actually quite reasonable. (Just cost me 30 quid to have a holster shipped from the US bought from a forum) and invariably, there’ll be a “discount coupon” every few weeks.

There are around 160000 FAC holders in the UK. Less than a half are target shooters I believe, and it’s that “section” that probably buy more guns and “bits” than all of the others. Really, we are very small potatoes even compared to European countries. If we don’t support it, they’ll cease to bother with the franchise. Can you imagine trying to get Viking Arms to order a disassembly catch spring, for a Ruger M77 Mk1?!!! No effing chance!

Yes it’s a bit of “beggars can’t be choosers” and there’ll always be an issue here and there. But by not using them ever again, be careful what you wish for....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Pippin89

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote:Trouble is, they’re the only game in town! There prices certainly have lowered and their shipping is actually quite reasonable. (Just cost me 30 quid to have a holster shipped from the US bought from a forum) and invariably, there’ll be a “discount coupon” every few weeks.

There are around 160000 FAC holders in the UK. Less than a half are target shooters I believe, and it’s that “section” that probably buy more guns and “bits” than all of the others. Really, we are very small potatoes even compared to European countries. If we don’t support it, they’ll cease to bother with the franchise. Can you imagine trying to get Viking Arms to order a disassembly catch spring, for a Ruger M77 Mk1?!!! No effing chance!

Yes it’s a bit of “beggars can’t be choosers” and there’ll always be an issue here and there. But by not using them ever again, be careful what you wish for....
Very fair point. I have said the same about BASC with the the recent boycott of their membership due to the steel shot debacle... I should take my own advice!
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

jcampbellsmith wrote:I'm not a Brownell's fan but my recent order delivered quickly in these challenging times. CDSG however leave me lost for words.
Regards
JCS
In a good way I hope! I've only ever had A1 service from CDSG, would be shame if they'd let it slide
DVC