Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for example

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

boltman

Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for example

#1 Post by boltman »

I'm new this week and interested to know if there are others with similar interests. I have had a passion for a large variety of antique and vintage lever action American made lever rifles. Over the many decades, Winchesters, Marlins, Savages, Whitney-Kennedy's, Burgesses, Bullards have all been collecting focuses of mine. Here is one of my Bullards. It is a large frame special order rifle with 28 inch half octagon barrel and pistol grip buttstock. The bore is excellent plus - looks new and shiny. I have taken it to the range several times.

The rifle action cycles smoothly and flawlessly. The Bullard action is of rack and pinion design and in my mind, most closely resembles the modern Browning BLR rifle. If you ever have a chance to work the action on one of these, you will be impressed. They are smooth as glass. Bullards load from the bottom with the action open. They were in competition with Winchester and as we know, Winchester won. They were not an inexpensive rifle. They're not inexpensive now either.

I'm wondering if it would be considered an antique in England? It was made in the late 1880's but there is potentially the modern caliber issue (which wouldn't impact its antique status in the states). It is Cal. 45. Which means, it is either .45-70 or .45-85 Bullard (a propriety development by James Bullard). The cases are identical.
Attachments
20110528 041843-Bullardlargeframe45-85045cropped.jpg
20110528 041550-Bullardlargeframe45-85033cropped.jpg
20110528 041126-Bullardlargeframe45-85001cropped-1.jpg
Sim G

Re: Interested here in antique lever guns? Bullards for exa

#2 Post by Sim G »

No, unfortunately due to caliber it would be regarded as if it was manufactured yesterday. A lovely example you have there.

I have a thing for Marlins. Got a very modest collection. My favourite is a first year production 1894 in .32-20. It wears an exceptionally heavy round barrel. It's a genuine Marlin barrel as well which carries all the correct markings. Brophy's tome doesn't state if "heavy" was an option or not. Bore wise, it's pitted and frosted, but boy does it still shoot!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
boltman

#3 Post by boltman »

Sim G wrote:No, unfortunately due to caliber it would be regarded as if it was manufactured yesterday. A lovely example you have there.

I have a thing for Marlins. Got a very modest collection. My favourite is a first year production 1894 in .32-20. It wears an exceptionally heavy round barrel. It's a genuine Marlin barrel as well which carries all the correct markings. Brophy's tome doesn't state if "heavy" was an option or not. Bore wise, it's pitted and frosted, but boy does it still shoot!
Thank you for the compliment on my Bullard. Your comments on your Marlin is very interesting to me. I recall at one time I had a Marlin M1894 .32-20 that was exactly as you describe. It had what I felt was an unusually heavy (round) barrel and I too, speculated that possibly it was some sort of specially ordered heavy barrel. I spent some time researching it and ultimately concluded it was standard issue. Eventually, I found others like it and I concluded that for a period of time in production, that's just how they made them. Unfortunately, I traded the rifle off, but I occasionally think about it. Every time I think about it, I wish I had it back.

My favorite Marlin is the M1895 - their biggest gun in the, "heavy calibers." Here are two .33's that I have. They are both all original. The case colored one is nearly mint. And the other one has very unusual wood.
Attachments
Marlin 1895's 2.jpg
Marlin 1895 .33.jpg
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Not antique however I have a Savage 22 Hipower Model 99 which is an underlever - it is one of my favourites.

Then again, I am a Savage fan.

At some point I hope to get a Model 24.

Although not an underlever I do have a Danish Snider Model 48 from 1863 hanging on the wall.

I just realised that both came from Dromia thankssign
boltman

#5 Post by boltman »

I am a fan of the .22 Savage High Power as well. I'm all set up for loading cartridges for it - I have dies, cases, bullets etc. Here is mine - bottom rifle in the photo. The top rifle is in .300 Savage. The .22HP is a very cool cartridge. I know it didn't quite live up to its original advertising hype (e.g. a fine choice for tigers).

https://imgur.com/Dc3Pz2I

https://imgur.com/l3UmHMG
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nice, both take down rifles as well.

The big issue with the .22 Savage Hi-Power/5.6×52mm Rimmed is the poor choice of projectiles. It needs something around .227" or .228" and they are difficult to source here in the UK, the brass is not so easy either. Luckily dies are not a problem for some bizarre reason. The round itself is reasonably accurate and I always look on it as an early 22-250 even though it is rimmed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#7 Post by Sim G »

An 1894, 1903 vintage, in 25-20 with a 28” barrel.

Several dealers and collectors and one notable auction house agree, it’s original...!!!

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

boltman

#8 Post by boltman »

Ovenpaa wrote:Nice, both take down rifles as well.

The big issue with the .22 Savage Hi-Power/5.6×52mm Rimmed is the poor choice of projectiles. It needs something around .227" or .228" and they are difficult to source here in the UK, the brass is not so easy either. Luckily dies are not a problem for some bizarre reason. The round itself is reasonably accurate and I always look on it as an early 22-250 even though it is rimmed.

We have the same situation in the States as far as the .227/.228 bullets as well as the brass being very difficult to locate. Hornady used to make a .227 bullet but that is long discontinued. However, they can still occasionally be found at gunshows or on the internet. There are also some small custom bullet makers who make them. I believe .228 is the more optimal diameter.
boltman

#9 Post by boltman »

Sim G wrote:An 1894, 1903 vintage, in 25-20 with a 28” barrel.

Several dealers and collectors and one notable auction house agree, it’s original...!!!

That is a beautiful Model 1894! Very neat that it also has a special order long barrel. I am in agreement that it looks all original. I am very confident those case colors have not been redone. That is a treasure of a rifle.
Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

Thank you!

I came to Marlin Rifles more by necessity than anything else. Always loved Frontier History and grew up in the 70s wanting to be a cowboy! Not much call for that growing up on a council estate (social housing) in the industrial North East of England!

But, when staring out in life earning my own money, I really wanted a Winchester! But, I couldn't afford them. Marlin were a third of the price of a Winchester.... I soon learned to love 'em! I've had a few Winchester's since through my hands, but they don't stay long. I did have a British military issued 1892 that I kept for a while, but it was soon passed on.

But, as a kid, my holy grail Winchester was a 1873 short rifle, with a pistol grip stock. Even though I could afford one now, I just wouldn't be able to lay down the price that such a thing commands. Thankfully Uberti decided to make a replica! I'll satisfy myself with that, even though I still prefer pre 1917 Marlins.