Any body deactivate firearms in Essex or near by

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Blighty

Re: Any body deactivate firearms in Essex or near by

#11 Post by Blighty »

DP? Drill Purpose.
Blighty

#12 Post by Blighty »

Lots of debate on ‘tinterweb about DP stamped rifles. In relation to SMLE and No4 there is no way of knowing why they were deemed suitable to become drill rifles. Buggered parts or components out of tolerance may be one reason. It is also possible that a perfectly serviceable rifle was grabbed from the rack and thus stamped because they needed more drill rifles for....er...drilling.

Not recommended for shooting.

Personally don’t think the same applies to martini rifles as they were probably stamped DP when they became obsolete and solely used for drill. I know of a couple of DP stamped martini carbines in .303 and they are both in proof.

I am of course an armchair expert so all the above must be true!
AL8

#13 Post by AL8 »

I think it has a back to back R, but a lot of the .303 Martini's had a hard life.
I will see if my friend can get it measured

http://www.martinihenry.org/index.php?r ... uct_id=122
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#14 Post by GeeRam »

Blighty wrote:Lots of debate on ‘tinterweb about DP stamped rifles. In relation to SMLE and No4 there is no way of knowing why they were deemed suitable to become drill rifles. Buggered parts or components out of tolerance may be one reason. It is also possible that a perfectly serviceable rifle was grabbed from the rack and thus stamped because they needed more drill rifles for....er...drilling.
Depends if it had other armorers condemned marks on it such as the ZF or ZF-BER marks, in which you'd steer well clear, or whether it's just got a DP, as it is known many OK No.4's were taken from store to be used for cadet DP use in the 60's/70's as well as para training in the 50's.
ukrifleman

#15 Post by ukrifleman »

Christel wrote:http://www.mflclassicfirearms.co.uk/

Suffolk.
Steve deactivated a Colombian Mauser for me a few years back and made a good job of it.
ukrifleman