New target rifle... thoughts?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mr_Logic

New target rifle... thoughts?

#1 Post by Mr_Logic »

Hi folks. What should be a quick Q but I suspect won't be...

I am looking to get another target rifle. Currently I shoot a .223 Rem Savage F/TR with the other half. A very enjoyable (and not unsuccessful) club championship at Bisley this weekend has convinced me we really do need a gun each, even if it means digging into the savings to buy it.

There are a million and one ways to skin an F/TR rifle. My criteria are - cheap, accurate, 308. Is there any reason not to contact Mr Anselm and either get a Savage-actioned rifle, or Savage F/TR sorted out?

Cheers muchly!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: New target rifle... thoughts?

#2 Post by Mike357 »

If you are comfortable and familiar with the Savage F/TR out of the box rifle then I would suggest going for a Savage action then you can develop the rifle by choosing the stock and barrel to suit.

Or, you could go for a UK sourced action such as those supplied by Valkyrie and build a true custom rifle but depends on your budget I guess. Any ideas on how much coin you have to spend?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

I modified my Remington 700 PSS

which now looks like this

I don't think you'll go far wrong if you buy the ready to go Savage, it seems to work for the USA team they were all shooting them I believe when they came over and shot in Ireland and Scotland in July. They work out to be the same sort of money as buying something else and then rebarelling etc. They also have a very nice trigger, the only odd thing is the opening for the chamber on the left.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mr_Logic

#4 Post by Mr_Logic »

My chamber opens right. Hmmm... perhaps they've changed them?

How do you find that bipod next to a Harris-type, which I use currently?

I need to get this done (rifle only, more for accessories) for under 2K. Savage was about 1600 last time round.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

£2k????? mmmmm.
Valkyrie single shot action circa £900, Barrel £500 ish, stock £500 ish. You are sooooo close to being able to afford a killer custom rifle!!!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by 20series »

My Bipod is a modified Sinclair which cost me originally £170, I had to lose some weight from the set up so I removed the tilting mechanism. It's very stable as you'd expect, the only pain is getting the height and levelling right on the firing point! I use a combination of the legs and the sloped front end to achieve this.

There are a number of variations on the market at the moment, Dolphin Guns (MikMak on here) sell a nice one for similar money.
http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2195

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by 20series »

Mike357 wrote:£2k????? mmmmm.
Valkyrie single shot action circa £900, Barrel £500 ish, stock £500 ish. You are sooooo close to being able to afford a killer custom rifle!!!

That'd work as well :good:
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Savage F/TR .308 has a good reputation for an F class rifle out of the box and Sanselm of this forum used one to great effect. He also sells them these days as Osprey rifles.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mr_Logic

#9 Post by Mr_Logic »

Yep, Mr Anselm is my likely next port of call, I guess wondering if I will see any benefit from a more costly action. Thus far I think likely not...
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

We have a variety of actions in the house and they all perform well.

The Savage Accutrigger is lovely once you get to know it. I know Ovenpaa likes his Barnard.