Rifle recommendations

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Rifle recommendations

#11 Post by GeeRam »

RDC wrote:I can only echo Mattnall for the 223 and 22lr, albeit not the 303.

Reason I say this is because 303 is a chonky boi that isnt as versatile, and is limiting in both available ammo and suitable firearms for what you want. If you just wanted a fun rifle for 100m plinking with no scope requirement, I'd not shy from it though. Yes, you can scope a 303, however an off the shelf 223 or 22lr will be just as accurate, if not more so, and will be cheaper to feed.
Yes, I agree, .303 is now anything but cheap with the massive jump in ammo prices this year.

.223 would seem to be the best option in terms of ammo and rifle choice for 100m with a scope.
RDC

#12 Post by RDC »

I definitely agree with everyone saying not to go with a 1 in 12 .223 rifle. I have one (It was a bargain and fit what I thought were my needs at the time) and it's restrictive. Don't get me wrong, it will do the job at the distance you want to shoot, but so will a 1 in 9 or 1 in 8 with a much wider choice of available ammo.
Geek
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#13 Post by Geek »

As mentioned above .223 seems to be the obvious choice. I have a Remington 700 in .223 with a 1 in 9 twist and I shoot 69gr home loaded bullets out to 600 yards.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#14 Post by DaveB »

DaveB wrote:Another vote for .323, and another vote for a more modern, faster rifling twist. I would go with nothing slower that 1-in-9, and 1-in-8 is better.
Sorry, finger trouble. I obviously meant to write .223 - though my Mossberg MVP Predator is chambered in 5.56 x 45mm NATO.

I will second too the vote for the Howa 1500 Mini action - I have one in stainless. I have only had it a few weeks, but early results are encouraging. Because of my intended use for it (Service rifle replacement - we have had to change the rules since they banned all semi-autos here) I have fitted it with a low-power variable optic (1 - 6 x 24 Primary Arms with the ACSS reticle).
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

Thanks for the recommendations. Can't go wrong with a Remmy 700 I suppose. And I have heard good things about Howa's.
I am half tempted to go with a "black tat" rifle to be honest. Never really appealed to me but after seeing a friends SGC Speedmaster I have an urge to buy one! I will see what is available at the right price once the range opens and I get my variation in!
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#16 Post by FredB »

!00 yds is well within pistol calibre accurate range. Get a 357 or 44 mag.
Fred
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Pippin89 »

FredB wrote:!00 yds is well within pistol calibre accurate range. Get a 357 or 44 mag.
Fred
I did consider that. I was thinking maybe a 9mm or something similar. But a bit of flexibility would be good. I do shoot at 600 yards plus with my 7.62 on iron sights so at those shoots I may want to take the scoped rifle. But hey having one doesnt exclude the other! ;)
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#18 Post by kennyc »

J4mes wrote:I'm in for a .223 and have noticed that the Howa 1500 get great reviews for the price point. They can be had 2nd hand for £400ish, leaving money for optics etc!
don't worry about the "price point" thing, they are good rifles fullstop! very adaptable with a good selection of parts available now, although you need to confirm twist rate in .223 mine is 1-9 although I have been told they have changed to 1-12? which seems madness to me !
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#19 Post by GeeRam »

Pippin89 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. Can't go wrong with a Remmy 700 I suppose.
Only fly in the Remmy ointment might be what happens now after the recent fire sale and selling off of the parts of Remmington after their collapse?
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

Pippin89 wrote:T Can't go wrong with a Remmy 700 I suppose.
:bad: kukkuk
Forget the Remington starter kit and get a Howa or one of the other brands that make 700 clones. They all make better Remis than Remington.