York Guns

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Ovenpaa

York Guns

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sad to hear York Guns is closing after 25+ years. We seem to have lost a few dealers and shops this year :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Landrover 130
Home club or Range: North Cotes

Re: York Guns

#2 Post by Landrover 130 »

Hadn't heard that, they will actually be a loss as i have bought a fair bit from them over the last couple of years
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
They were never the same when they moved from York center near the river in that quirky shop.
They always had a vast and very interesting range of firearms especially military I bought a few things, I purchased my Swedish Mauser and remember being invited upstairs to cherry pick, I chose an Obendorf 1899 model pre Swedish manufacture with beautiful tiger stripe walnut stock (I still have it) Think I paid £195 so it was some time ago....... They were not that popular back then.
Ballistol

#4 Post by Ballistol »

Sad news, particularly for shooters in the North, who they have served for many years.
Thoughts are also with staff members.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

Their old shop near the river (King St if I remember correctly) was a treasure trove. They lost their ambiance when they moved - tried to go upmarket. A sad loss and I empathise!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#6 Post by micken »

Anyone remember Fred Farmer?
PeterN

#7 Post by PeterN »

I bumped into Gary Hyde last year at a Christmas market. He was OK but not in the gun dealing business any more as he did a little porridge due to doing a deal the government didn't approve of.
Regards
Peter.
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

It's a little more complicated than that! Another RFD that thought he was above the law. Greed controlled him and like those before, banged nails into the coffin of legitimate sportsmen and lawful dealers.

He deserves no sympathy.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#9 Post by shoppe »

The old shop was brilliant. For any shooter it is was fantastic.
They had everything.
I drove down from the north of Scotland to buy my s/w 686 and a few years later my .22 buckmark semi -auto pistol.

I would stock up with all reloading gear and consumables etc when on holiday in the area.
Funny how we seen to holiday where the gun shops are located?
On most trips I had to go get the car and park outside to load it up with the pile of stuff I had just bought.
There was no way I could carry it any distance.

The best bit was the wife could go shopping in York and leave me to it for ages.

Did anybody else get two receipts from them ?

One receipt had the proper price on it and the second receipt (which was not numbered) and showed a vastly reduced "cost " of the parts/firearm to show the wife!

I spent the last of my pistol compensation in the old shop.
I bought a new tikka continental rifle in 308 and S/B PM2 ( 10Xx42 ) scope. I still have them both, going strong.

I have visited the "new" shop a few times when down on holiday but it did not have the same appeal to it.
It seemed to cater more for the game shooter.
Cheers
Shoppe
Ballistol

#10 Post by Ballistol »

I’m sure the old shop has many special memories for lots of people.
The front of the shop was tiny, with a little raised area to the rear, but whenever you wanted something specific, they disappeared and would return with whatever you’d asked for.
Or the time I heard they had a rare Swedish M41-B, I rushed to the store only to find there was a selection of them to choose from :o
I also used to stock up with reloading gear, and the Wife sometimes reminds me of the time I was there, and was overjoyed that they had 45-70 bullets. So I bought 5000, then proceeded to remove my daughter from her pram to use it as a trolley back to the car :D
Happy days :good: