How do you change colour of a moderator ?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

LONG RANGE CAPT

How do you change colour of a moderator ?

#1 Post by LONG RANGE CAPT »

I have have an S5 and a S7 Ase Utra moderators both come in a brushed steel finish, but would like to get the colour changed to a mat black finish to suit the rifles the go on. (AE MK III - .308 & AWSM - .338)

Ideally I would like the finish to be the same as the mat black that appears on the Jet Z Compact.

What options are available ?

Kind Regards

Rob
Dave 101

Re: How do you change colour of a moderator ?

#2 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi

Probably the most durable finish done profesionaly would be Duracoat , or if you fancy a DIY job BBQ spray paint .

Dave
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

My AE's have what looks like a Teflon coat on the barrels which is hard to reproduce, closest I have seen is the Duracoat in H&K Black.
Enjoy the rifle :goodjob:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by 1066 »

It depends a bit what they are made of. If it's just steel then a traditional blue/blacking will work or even a cold bluing but not if it's stainless. If they are made of Ali then the could be anodised.

Something I have used before that works very well is heatshrink tubing like this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shrink-T ... 19bb1431da

I use a hotair paint stripper to apply it and if you remove it at a later date you can just slice it off.
Here is some yellow heatshrink on a CO2 air-rifle I converted to smoothbore to shoot 6mm plastic balls.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by bnz41 »

Hi.

I have a PES stainless sound mod for my .308 sniper, It came supplied with heat shrink, which I fitted. On a range day at Bisley (raining I might add) after a 20 round continues fire the heat shrink started to bubble. I removed it and after rubbing down the stainless finish to get a key for the paint, I used the same stuff used on coal and log stoves, (cant remember its name) will cope with very high temps 650c, never had a problem since, and its matt black.. Machine Mart do a brush on type.. Look for a spray for better finish..
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#6 Post by pe4king »

I did mine with 22 year old Suncorite as I didnt like my mod green, it looked out of place on a black phosphate barrel anyway its hard wearing and heat isnt a problem, if its good enough for GPMG barrels etc then its good enough for me
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Dave 101

#7 Post by Dave 101 »

pe4king wrote:I did mine with 22 year old Suncorite as I didnt like my mod green, it looked out of place on a black phosphate barrel anyway its hard wearing and heat isnt a problem, if its good enough for GPMG barrels etc then its good enough for me
Suncorite I believe is what was used on some of the poorly finished Lee Enfields , its still available ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suncorite-259 ... 0478326500

http://projects.erebusstyx.co.uk/tds/su ... 120509.pdf

Its produced in different grades , can be sprayed or applied by dipping , may be worth a go on an old rifle .

Dave
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

How about sheathing it with a bicycle inner tube - cheap and silent.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.