Strange vibes?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Strange vibes?

#11 Post by dromia »

My mother was a Spey wife.

I've worked as a grave digger.

I've spent the night in Boleskine House.

I've seen and felt quiet a few strange things in my time but haunted rifles FFS!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#12 Post by DaveB »

It has long been suspected by those who believe that objects can have attachments. I have been in places that gave me some very strange feelings (the New Inn in Gloucester for one). Cannot say that I have ever had that feeling off an object, but certainly many others claim to. None of my firearms have ever actually been used in combat - even my No 4 rifle was brand-new in Cosmoline when I got it - so cannot say that I have ever felt that from a firearm.

Bottom line is that either you believe in this sort of thing, or you don't. The older I get, the more I tend to believe that "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#13 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:My mother was a Spey wife.

I've worked as a grave digger.

I've spent the night in Boleskine House.

I've seen and felt quiet a few strange things in my time but haunted rifles FFS!
At no point did I say it was haunted!!!......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

lol This thread is a bit funny lol

I am not laughing at you but with you O:-)
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Dromia..... I wonder if, as a Spey Wife your mother would have been so quick to dismiss something like this?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

She never believed that inanimate objects could of them selves have any power.

Any spiritual attributes attached to inanimate objects were projections of people or other living things.

I still have the hollow blue stone she gave me when she was trying to encourage me to develop my second sight, which I never did as I saw it as a curse not a blessing, the stone in and of itself is a nothing but it could be used as focus for the ways of the living owner.

Much of her work was in treating the "evil eye" and sometimes things were identfied as conduit for it but they always lead to a living person.

All the worlds ills and events come from the living not the dead was a thing she firmy believed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Cookisan
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

#17 Post by Cookisan »

spikedueller wrote:This takes me back to one of the stories in the old "commando" booklets of the 70's where in one a murdered soldier's SMLE mysteriously started firing by itself eventually killing all of the protagonists.. I wouldn't rely on it as a defense in court though.
Attachments
Riley's Rifle 2.jpg
Riley's Rifle 1.jpg
MistAgain

#18 Post by MistAgain »

Considering the topic ..........................

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoKbnUD6gMU
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#19 Post by spikedueller »

Riley's Rifle yes that was it! Thanks for posting Cookisan.

At the risk of hijacking the thread and sounding a Dumkopf, what were peoples favorite phrases from those non PC days?
"Donner und Blitzen"
"Schweinhund"
"Gott in himmel" ?

I was sadly disappointed to learn that in O level German none of those cherished phrases would actually be useful in conversation.
WelshShooter

#20 Post by WelshShooter »

My guess would be that the rifle skipped the blessing ceremony before being commissioned for use lol

Humour aside, I've never had such a feeling before when holding or shooting older firearms. If anything, the only "strange feeling" I've had was due to some of the smells given off from older firearms (you know the types of smell that makes your head shudder?). It never felt other worldly or however you wish to describe such a thing.

On that note, I did see a wartime Mosina for sale a few years back and pictures showed marks carved into the handgrip of the stock. The description read something along the lines of "there are three marks crudely carved into the wood stock; maybe innocent, or maybe to represent a more nefarious purpose." I wonder if by luck, this is the same rifle!
Attachments
1591ff33327fbfffd8662f192892832a.jpg