Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#11 Post by walesdave »

After a bit of back and forth about the screenshots I supplied for valuations....email today saying they would pay £428.84 against my claim of £471.33.

There is the option to appeal but I think I'll take it as it's close enough.

One thing I find odd is that on the claim form they ask for bank details to make payment but in the email it states a cheque will be sent....doesn't matter either way but a bit of a pain to pay a cheque into the bank.

Time to have a rumage and find anything else that falls under the compensation scheme. :good:
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#12 Post by Airbrush »

I’ve got a Hinderer XM 18 which is a flipper but has a detent & no spring, I can’t figure out if it’s banned or not???
The Event

#13 Post by The Event »

Airbrush wrote:I’ve got a Hinderer XM 18 which is a flipper but has a detent & no spring, I can’t figure out if it’s banned or not???
If there is no spring in it then it should be legal. There has been no change to the definition of a gravity knife so if it was bought from a legitimate retailer since 1959 it would have been illegal for them to sell it to you if it was a gravity knife.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

I've had a simillar question on facebook. Its like zombie knife, does it NEED to be all three? usually the legislation is clear if it needs to be one or all, but this has no absolute term in it.
can I get rid of a clone dessert dagger for full value?

i've got one flipper like you, that the pivot is a bit loose on, is it a gravity knife if it can be opened from closed, without touching the blade? My understanding is no, it's just a poorly made lock knife.

I have however emailed the hand in HO email address for clarification
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

walesdave wrote:After a bit of back and forth about the screenshots I supplied for valuations....email today saying they would pay £428.84 against my claim of £471.33.

There is the option to appeal but I think I'll take it as it's close enough.
Is that a back and forth with the HO or the person doing the valuation?
walesdave wrote: One thing I find odd is that on the claim form they ask for bank details to make payment but in the email it states a cheque will be sent....doesn't matter either way but a bit of a pain to pay a cheque into the bank.
Yes, hilariously antiquated. Apparently they want your bank details so they can be printed on the cheque 5mith lol lol
walesdave wrote: Time to have a rumage and find anything else that falls under the compensation scheme. :good:
Isn't it a one shot deal, if you'll excuse the pun?
DVC
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

Blackstuff wrote:
walesdave wrote: Time to have a rumage and find anything else that falls under the compensation scheme. :good:
Isn't it a one shot deal, if you'll excuse the pun?
nope, I have an email from the HO, stating that I can even separate out my claims, one for all the standard values, one for justified values

I can post the whole thing if you like?
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#17 Post by Dellboy »

ive got a 20 inch kebab knife is it legal ? asking for a friend
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

i just wanted to clear out some bits. the HO reply confirms that it needs to be all 3 to be a zombie knife.
IMG_20201217_143429_resized_20201217_024057626.jpg
so I can't get rid of any of these for some cash.

they are seeking clarification on gravity knife meaning.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

HO

'As regards, gravity knives then they have confirmed that knives where you can open them by way of force with a movement of the hand and wrist would be classed as gravity knives. They did say that a normal lock knife if it’s old or used a lot then could quite easily be opened by a movement of the hand. The key point would be is the knife designed to be opened in that way without have having to use a button or any other device. If there is a mechanism to open the knife then this would be considered a flick knife. '

so a flipper is not a gravity knife, as you have to start to open it. but if it is designed to go from closed to open with a flick - gravity knife.
walesdave

#20 Post by walesdave »

Blackstuff wrote: Is that a back and forth with the HO or the person doing the valuation?
With the Home Office bods - appears they are the ones 'adjusting' any non-standard valuations if they see fit.
bradaz11 wrote:HO
'As regards, gravity knives then they have confirmed that knives where you can open them by way of force with a movement of the hand and wrist would be classed as gravity knives. [...] so a flipper is not a gravity knife, as you have to start to open it. but if it is designed to go from closed to open with a flick - gravity knife.
Pretty much what was said when I handed in a flipper as a 'gravity knife' (the lock never worked properly so I was glad to get rid of it); if you can open the blade without touching it at all then = gravity knife, if you need to 'hit' a flipper / thumb stud etc. to open it then not a gravity knife.

I think a lot of 'gravity knives' will just be lock knives with loose pivots that have worn over the years, at £40 each standard valuation I'm going to be digging through some draws - standard valuations aren't questioned and are paid out automatically as long as the receiving police station agrees the knife fits the 'definition'.