Butchered Polish M44

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Butchered Polish M44

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

leeroy7031 wrote:
Blighty wrote:That rifle has been for sale for at least a year now. Perhaps if it was advertised as a rare ‘tower sniper rifle’ they’d get more interest :run:
Looking to put one of those together myself ... when I can find a decent period scope.

I'm putting this together more for sh1ts and giggles than anything else, I had a proper 1939 Tula sniper with PEM scope, loved the rifle but just didn't like the length, I found it too long, I much prefer the carbine length WW2 rifles.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for a M44 and one that's been so butchered wtf

I’ve gone the other direction with a liking the longer M91’s......”An elegant weapon for a more civilised age”

Please don’t scope something like a 1907 carbine or a M91/38, otherwise me and Sergei Mosin’s ghost will be round! :twisted: ;)
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
leeroy7031
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#12 Post by leeroy7031 »

snayperskaya wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote:
Blighty wrote:That rifle has been for sale for at least a year now. Perhaps if it was advertised as a rare ‘tower sniper rifle’ they’d get more interest :run:
Looking to put one of those together myself ... when I can find a decent period scope.

I'm putting this together more for sh1ts and giggles than anything else, I had a proper 1939 Tula sniper with PEM scope, loved the rifle but just didn't like the length, I found it too long, I much prefer the carbine length WW2 rifles.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for a M44 and one that's been so butchered wtf

I’ve gone the other direction with a liking the longer M91’s......”An elegant weapon for a more civilised age”

Please don’t scope something like a 1907 carbine or a M91/38, otherwise me and Sergei Mosin’s ghost will be round! :twisted: ;)
Don't worry, mines nothing special, it's a 1947 M44, its in fair to good condition, not mint. A nice clean post WW2 example which is a perfect project piece. I'm not into destroying classic historical pieces, my K98 and No5 are 'as issued' and all work is intended to be undertaken with original parts that are pre 1950.
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

leeroy7031 wrote:I'm not into destroying classic historical pieces, my K98 and No5 are 'as issued'
:good:

Nice to find someone else on here with a K98 and a No.5 :wave:
snayperskaya

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

leeroy7031 wrote:
Don't worry, mines nothing special, it's a 1947 M44, its in fair to good condition, not mint. A nice clean post WW2 example which is a perfect project piece. I'm not into destroying classic historical pieces, my K98 and No5 are 'as issued' and all work is intended to be undertaken with original parts that are pre 1950.
Plenty of original PU scopes/mounts on EBay if you search worldwide and look at sellers in Russia and Ukraine etc, often cheaper than you’d pay for repro stuff.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

leeroy7031
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#15 Post by leeroy7031 »

snayperskaya wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote:
Plenty of original PU scopes/mounts on EBay if you search worldwide and look at sellers in Russia and Ukraine etc, often cheaper than you’d pay for repro stuff.
Thanks for the tip, I wondered why my search wasn't showing much up compared to normal thankssign
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
leeroy7031

#16 Post by leeroy7031 »

snayperskaya wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote:
One now making its way over from USSR, a nice 1944 example with matching mount, I caved an opted for Accumount base ;)
snayperskaya

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

leeroy7031 wrote:
One now making its way over from USSR, a nice 1944 example with matching mount, I caved an opted for Accumount base ;)
If you’ve gone to the trouble of sourcing an original scope and mount why not use an original base too?, better than those Accumount bases......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sniper-Scope ... 4040041105

leeroy7031

#18 Post by leeroy7031 »

snayperskaya wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote:
If you’ve gone to the trouble of sourcing an original scope and mount why not use an original base too?, better than those Accumount bases......

I've used Accumount before when I re-sniperised a 1938 Tula with an original 1938 PEM scope, they are well made. Basically I would have needed to get bits from several sources, new screws etc which really pushed the cost up. As it stands now my PU scope may well fall through as there is no international mail from Russia https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... t-bulletin

The way I also see this is that if I sell the rifle at a later date I can easily turn this back into standard config but just with a scope base in place and consider selling the scope and mount as the original pair. Flawed logic but it kind of made sense to me at the time.
snayperskaya

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

leeroy7031 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
leeroy7031 wrote:

I've used Accumount before when I re-sniperised a 1938 Tula with an original 1938 PEM scope, they are well made. Basically I would have needed to get bits from several sources, new screws etc which really pushed the cost up. As it stands now my PU scope may well fall through as there is no international mail from Russia https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... t-bulletin

The way I also see this is that if I sell the rifle at a later date I can easily turn this back into standard config but just with a scope base in place and consider selling the scope and mount as the original pair. Flawed logic but it kind of made sense to me at the time.
Have you thought of one of those no gunsmithing scope mounts that fit in place of the rear sight leaf and a long eye relief scope?, that way if you decide to sell the rifle it’s easy to put it back to original with no permanent changes......if you put a PU scope on it you’d need to modify the bolt body or source an original sniper bolt body.

leeroy7031

#20 Post by leeroy7031 »

The bolt has already been modified from a doner body so this can be reverted as well, I have shot M38 / M44 with long eye relief scopes and they are not pleasant. Ideally I want a carbine sniper that close to original, I'm not looking to make this out to be something that its not, just a nice period rifle and scope that I can have some fun with and enjoy. Being pre 1950 as well am I can use this on falling plates I think.